Chapter 38

Karen falls asleep on my shoulder. My mind is finally put at ease knowing that she is safe here with me. I need to get her out of that hell hole as soon as possible.

Leo walks down the stairs and looks at me and Karen. I hold a finger up to my lip, signaling for him to be quiet. He nods and walks over.

Leo sits on the other side of me and snuggles into my other arm. He has a hello kitty bandaid on his nose, it's adorable.

The two people who matter most to me in the world are now asleep next to me, safe. It was rocky, but I'm infinitely grateful that they are both here with me, relaxed. I fall asleep with them.

-

When I wake up Leo is gone and Karen has moved to my lap, still sound asleep. I gently brush Karen's hair out of her face. She looks peaceful, I haven't seen her at ease for a long time.

I gently lift her and scoot off the couch, covering her with a blanket before I look for Leo. Did he move to his room? I'm a bit sad that he didn't stay with us.

I look in Leo's room, he isn't there. I search the other rooms, then the kitchen. Leo isn't in any of the rooms. I can't help but panic, he probably just went somewhere, but he would tell me first if he did... I'm worried.

I go into Leo's room to find my phone, I need to call him.

The phone starts to ring... He isn't picking up.

"Kenny? Why are you calling me?" Leo gently closes the door to his room when he walks in.

"Oh, thank god, I thought you left. Where were you?"

"Um... The bathroom..?"

"Oh..."

He snickers, "You're cute. Were you worried?"

I sigh and lay down on my back on Leos's bed, "Yeah, I was."

He lays down next to me and rests his head on my chest like he always does. It amazes me how quickly my worries vanish when Leo is around.

"Is Karen doing okay?"

"Yeah, she's still asleep. Thanks for letting us crash here, it means a lot. Seriously."

"Of course! I would've insisted if you hadn't suggested it first. I don't want my boyfriend or his sister to stay in a place that could be dangerous."

"I told her that we are dating."

"Yeah? What did she say?"

I smile and stroke his hair lightly, "She said she's glad, she thinks you're a nice guy."

"I'm glad she doesn't hate me, I did kinda barge into your home and try to break up a fight that was none of my business."

"She is a good judge of character. She always has been."

"You must really care about her."

"Yeah, I make sure she's eating well and getting any basic needs met. It's hard but someone has to take care of her, god knows my parents don't."

"You would make a great dad, Kenny."

"You really think so? I always thought I would be a sucky dad because of my personality."

"No, you would be the best. I would gladly have kids with you."

My face turns red. Kids, with Leo? I hadn't ever considered it, but if it was with Leo, I really could do anything. Maybe it is possible.