Chapter 46

It's been four days since I was put here, I get updates on Leo and Karen through my lawyer. They both agreed to testify for me in court. I knew I could count on them.

In two days the trial starts. I can't wait to see Leo and Karen again, I hope they have both been staying healthy... I know I haven't, I just hope my appearance doesn't scare them too much. I get one meal a day, and I can't get myself to eat more than a few bites of it, the food here tastes rotten. My face is sunken, I probably look skinny, there are bags under my eyes from lack of sleep, and my hair is a tangled mess. I'm almost embarrassed to go out and see everyone again, but I need to know that they are actually okay.

-

It's the day before the trial, luckily, I'm not sick anymore. I'm incredibly hungry and tired, but not sick.

The only person I have spoken to for the past week was Gerold Brovloski. He is a cool enough guy but he's old. I miss my friends. I miss Leo.

-

The morning of the trial they give me a fresh new pair of clothes, it's just a shitty gray uniform, but it's better than nothing. Just wish it didn't make me look like a felon.

Kyle's dad walks me through a large courthouse, "Okay, remember: If you have any input, you tell me first. I will do all the speaking for you. Keep a cool head in there. If you act out the jury will want to believe you're a bad guy. Are you ready?"

I take a deep breath and nod. This is kind of scary.

He slowly opens a big wooden door. The courtroom is full. All my friends are sitting in the back left corner. Almost everyone in town is here right now, from teachers to politicians. All eyes are on me as I walk down the aisle to the desk I'm supposed to sit at.

I take a seat, I'm cold. I must've lost some weight, my muscle usually kept me warm. 

I scan the room, and finally, I see Leo. He looks healthy. I was worried that my dad was going to try and break his arm or something, but he looks good. I'm glad. I smile at him and wave under the table.

He smiles at me. Not his usual smile, it looks forced, he looks like he is trying to hide worry. I guess it makes sense. If the roles were switched I would be pacing back and forth worrying about him.

Karen is sitting at another desk at the front, she is both a witness and a subject in this case.

The courtroom is quiet, but there is a lot of whispering, feels like everyone in town is gossiping about me right now.

The judge hits a wooden hammer-like thing against her desk, everyone stands up. "Order! The case of the McCormicks will now begin. Please, take a seat."

Here goes nothing.