Chapter 50

"Hey, Karen?"

She's already sitting up against the backboard of the bed.

"Hey, Kenny..."

I sit down next to her.

"Do you want to talk?"

"We probably should."

"What's going through your mind?"

She takes a deep breath and looks up at the ceiling. 

"I was young when it happened. Maybe if I was a little bit older I would've been able to see the signs. I wanted to give Mom and Dad so many more chances to turn around and be good parents, I had no idea they did something so horrible."

"Yeah..."

"What about you? What's going through your head?"

"I keep seeing that image, of... him... on the street... I'm scared and mad. Not just at them, but at myself too. I should've gotten you out sooner. What if they had hurt you too? I'm sorry, Karen..."

"It's okay. Neither of us knew."

"We need to go get our things from the house soon. Do you think you'll be able to?"

"Yeah, as long as you're there, I think I'll be fine. We should wait a couple of days though."

"I agree."

Karen pulls out her phone. It's new.

"Kenny, I'm gonna go hang out with some friends tomorrow, to get my mind off of everything..."

"Okay, that should be fine. When did you get a new phone?"

"Oh, I told Gerold to tell you, I guess he forgot. Leo bought me one. He said someone recently gave him 200 bucks so he was happy to spend it on a phone. I feel bad, but he insisted."

"Leo did that?"

"Yeah, he also let me stay here while you were away. He made some pretty good meals for us. We talked about you a lot. He really is a good guy..."

"Karen, will you excuse me for a minute?"

"Sure, you can just go, I'll come down for dinner in a few minutes."

"Okay."

I get up, I feel kind of lightheaded. I need to get to Leo.

My Leo is downstairs in the kitchen, stirring something I can't see on the stove.

"Kenny! Hey, is she awake?"

I stumble over to him and embrace him tightly.

"Kenny?"

I squeeze him into my chest, "Thank you, Leo. I love you. So. much."

"What's this about?"

"Karen told me you took care of her and even bought her a new phone with the money I gave you from the bet. You really are amazing."

"I care about her, and about you. Of course, I was going to make sure everything was okay with her. I knew it would be on your mind while you were in there."

I kiss him, holding the back of his head.

"Leo..."

"Kenny?"

I push his shoulders lightly, causing him to take a few steps back. I push him until he is against the wall.

"Leo..."

I kiss him. Over and over. I don't know how else to express how much I love him.

He wraps his arms around my neck, "Ken-mmm"

I reach down and bring up one of his thighs, wrapping his right leg around me.

"Leo... I love you."

"Mmm-"

*Snap*

The sound of a phone taking a picture.

I quickly turn around to see Karen in the doorway.

"Blackmail~" She smiles and holds up her phone.

I put Leo's leg down and he slowly slides down the wall to the floor, covering his face with his apron.

"Karen... Delete that."