Chapter 21

I need to get a real job, my small weekend jobs aren't cutting it. I just need to find somewhere that really needs help and is willing to hire almost anyone. And I think I know just the place.

I stop at the ice cream shop on my way home from school, the owner is the only one working right now.

I'm greeted with a smile, "What can I get for you young man?"

I smile politely back at the old man. "Hi, I was wondering if you are hiring right now, I'm looking for a place to work."

"We are! Please, have a seat in that booth and I'll come to talk to you when I'm finished with my customers."

I sit in the booth he had pointed at. He seems to be super busy, Leo must be a big help, but he still can't work school hours.

The old man takes a seat across from me, "So, what is your name?"

"Kenny, my friend told me about this place, he works here. His name is Butters."

"Ahh, yes. You must be the spunky boy in the orange jacket that Butters had told me about."

"Spunky?"

"That's just the word he used. He has told me a lot about you."

The old man asks me a bunch of questions for my interview, I do my best to sound more professional than I actually am.

"Well, with how you interviewed and how Butters vouched for you, I have to say you are hired."

Hired, I actually got hired. I didn't expect it to be so easy. "Thank you, sir. I can start tomorrow if that works?"

"Yes, at 4 pm Butters will come in, you come in at 3:30, I'll set you up and your friend can teach you the workings."

I go home and lie in my bed, I'm happy. I get to spend time with Leo and get paid an hourly wage. I might even get enough money for my sister's present before her birthday. I'm excited about the future.

-

I arrive at the shop around 3:30 just as instructed. The old man welcomes me to the back. He shows me to a locker that has a uniform in it. I get changed. The uniform is short-sleeved and pastel. I never show my arms, I always wear my orange jacket over them so they stay hidden. All those odd jobs seem to have given me some arm muscle. I wonder if Leo will notice.

The old man instructs me to wait in the break room until Leo arrives.

I hear voices in the hall, it's Leo and the old man,

"A new hire? Who is it?"

"A surprise, my boy. Be good to him, you know we need the help."

"Of course! I'm nice to everyone, you know me."

The door opens. When Leo makes eye contact with me his smile quickly fades.

"Kenny..? You?"

"Hey, Leo."