Chapter 49

"Kenny... We need to leave..." Leo crouches down so that he can make eye contact with me.

"Kevin..."

"Kenny let's just go to my house, you can process there, we can't just stay here."

He holds out a hand and gives me a genuinely worried look.

I slowly raise my arm and take his hand. He helps me stand up. I stumble a bit, my legs feel weak.

He keeps my hand in his while he walks over to Karen, "Karen? We are going to my house now. Come with."

He holds his other hand out to her and she takes it, still crying.

Leo practically drags us both to his house. Karen keeps wiping her eyes and I keep a blank stare. We must look like a couple of zombies right now.

-

"We're here. My parents saw the trial, and they said they will go back out to the next town to continue work, the house is ours." Leo unlocks his front door.

Still holding both of our hands, he looks at us. "Karen, do you want to go to the king-sized bed?"

She nods and Leo drags us both upstairs. Once Karen lays down she hugs a pillow and sniffles. "Will you be okay by yourself?"

"Y-yeah..."

Leo shuts her door and drags me into his room. He sits on the bed and looks at me. I fall to my knees without his support. 

He rushes over, "Kenny! Come sit on the bed..."

I sit. My mind is only filled with images of Kevin's beaten body.

"Kenny... I- I'm sorry... They said that was the best way to win the case, and that it would put your parents away for a long time."

"Did you know...?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you know what happened to him? This whole time?"

He shakes his head. "My mom only recently found out when she was looking through footage of that street for the trial..."

"Okay."

"Kenny? Can you look at me?"

I turn my head, my eyes are blank.

He uses his sleeve to rub my eyes. "I'm sorry..."

I fall back, laying down on the bed, Leo lays next to me, letting me rest my head on his chest.

He hugs me.

I don't know why, but this hug finally breaks me. This whole time it was like a dam was leaking in my eyes, but at this moment, the dam broke. It shattered. I scream and cry into his baby blue sweater.

"It's okay. Let it out. I'm right here..."

"Kevin... Kevin was... AGHHH!!!"

He slowly pets my hair, just listening to me, comforting me.

-

At some point, I had fallen asleep. When I woke up, Leo is still there, his arm around me.

I sit up, waking Leo. "Oh, Kenny. How are you feeling?"

I rub my eyes... "I feel pretty fucking awful. But I feel better than I did earlier. Thanks, I don't know what I would do without you."

He gives me a quick peck on the lips, "I love you, Kenny, I'll be here for you always."

"I love you too, Leo..."

He stands up, "Do you want to go check on Karen? I can start on dinner..."

"Okay."

I go to Karen's room. This is going to be a hard conversation for both of us, but we need to discuss what happened.