Chapter 23

I turn to Leo with a smile, "How'd I do?"

His face is red, he blinks a couple of times and composed himself. "F-fine. Good job up-selling. You aren't allowed to keep that phone number, we can't accept things like that from customers."

I take out the slip of paper that the pink-haired girl had given me and toss it into a small box that was going to be recycled soon. When I turn to Leo I see that he was staring at me. He must be impressed.

He quickly turns and walks into the bathroom. I continue to help customers. An old lady gives me a 20$ tip, and some college boys fist-bump me. They all seem to like me. Maybe this will be easier than I thought.

-

The next day after school I rush to work, and Leo's rebound is there. He looks at me and welcomes me in.

"Kenny, right? I'm Bradley. Nice to meet you."

I shake his hand, something I thought only old people did, but Bradley seemed to be into it.

A few hours into work and I'm already tired of this kid. He talks a lot, like Leo, but none of what he says is interesting in the slightest. He tells me about his debate club and his religion. How can Leo like someone this boring?

-

I work every day after school for the week, and on Sunday I finally get my paycheck. Three. Hundred. Dollars.

I stare at my paycheck, checking over and over to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. 300$$. I never thought it would be possible to make that in a month, much less a week.

I continue to work every day, sometimes with Leo, and sometimes with Bradley. On Saturdays, all three of us work since it gets go busy. I don't like those days. I don't like seeing them together.

-

It's a Tuesday, me and Leo are both working. The weather outside is horrible. It's pouring cats and dogs. Every now and then lightning lights up the sky. No one wants to come in right now. It's just me and Leo.

Ever since I joined we've been pretty busy. A group of girls keeps coming in whenever they see that I'm working, they bring more girls every time. I've got a little fan club here, I'll admit it feels good. I've never gotten time alone with Leo at work like this, never been this empty.

He hasn't said anything to me all night. I can't stand the silence. "Leo?"

He glances up at me from his seat on one of the chairs, "hm?"

"Are you, are you doing okay? Better at least?"

He looks back at the floor. "Yeah, I am. It still hurts to be alone with you like this, but I'm definitely doing better than I was a week ago."

"Right, sorry. I'm glad you're improving. I was worried."

"Why?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why were you worried?"

"I told you. I care about you."

"If you cared about me you wouldn't have done what you did."