Chapter 28

There are three girls on each side of me, they are talking about a car one of them got for her 18th birthday. Honestly, the conversation was very boring. Suddenly the girl to my left, v-neck, grabs my thigh. This startles me. Then the girl on my right grabs my other thigh. They are staring each other down. More focused on the other girl than on me.

I really don't know what to do in this situation. I would like them to stop touching me. How do I get out of this? I look around trying to think of an excuse to leave. I can't think of anything so I just blurt out whatever I can while I move their hands off me.

"Sorry, I can't- I'm gonna go back to- just-" I can't get a sentence out. I push my way out of the table and to my feet.

"Hah. I gotta go check on something." I hurry off to the back room.

"Quite a fan club." Leo finds me

"Yeah. They are all kinda crazy. I don't know how they all managed to be crazy about ME at the same time."

Leo traces his eyes up and down my body, "I can think of how. Stop showing off to every girl that comes in and maybe you'll be fine."

"It's just good customer service. It keeps people coming back, that's what we want isn't it?" My voice is monotone, my face giving him no expression.

-

5 days pass. I don't talk to Leo about anything unless I have to at work. And I nap outside during lunch at school. My social life is plummeting but I don't care. Nothing really matters very much to me. Just work.

It's raining again today. The forecast said it would rain super hard all day so I was the only one scheduled to work. As expected no one comes in. I sit behind the front counter and work on homework while I wait for my shift to end.

I hear the door open, I don't want to get up but at least serving a customer will keep me busy. "Hello, welcome in-"

It's Leo. "Kenny, I need to talk to you. Can we go to the back for a second? It'll be quick I swear."

I have no good reason to decline so I follow him to the storage room. "What do you want?"

"I just read an article, it came out two months ago. It's about a group of juvenile delinquents who escaped into the South Park area. The article said they're dangerous."

I fold my arms, "Okay? And?"

"It said there were 6 of them. Girls, led by a tall girl. Doesn't that sound like those girls who come in to see you?"

"Sure, but that also sounds like any clique of high school girls. I'm not concerned."

He furrows his eyebrows, "I'm just trying to help, I'm worried that-"

"Don't"

"What?"

"Don't worry about me. I don't need your worry."

I shouldn't say these things, but I'm so pissed. I don't really even know why anymore.

The front door opens. Leo looks surprised. "Someone actually came? In this storm?"

I peek around the corner and see who it is. "Leo. I need you to see if you can fit in that storage bin over there. If you can't, then find somewhere else, just stay hidden and quiet."

I walk out to my 6 customers who have just entered the store. They are all holding big duffel bags.