Chapter 21 : Mount Ilios

As Elara and her companions finally freed Lauria from the clutches of the evil Lord Thrush. They knew what they had to do next - continue their perilous journey towards the summit of Mount Ilios. With each step, the path grew steeper and more treacherous, but Elara and her companions were determined to overcome any obstacle in their way. They pressed on, hearts filled with hope and the knowledge that their mission was more important than ever before.

As they journeyed towards the summit of Mount Ilios, Elara and her companions encountered many challenges along the way. They faced treacherous terrain, dangerous creatures, and hostile enemies who sought to thwart their mission. However, they persisted with unwavering determination.

As they reached the summit of Mount Ilios, Elara and her companions were in awe of the breathtaking view that greeted them. The gentle breeze carried with it the sweet scent of blooming flowers, and the soft rustling of leaves was instrument to their ears. In the midst of this serene setting, they spotted a figure sitting cross-legged under the shade of a large tree. As they approached, Elara's heart skipped a beat when she recognized the face of the wise old man who had taught her about wind and healing magic years ago.

The old sage smiled warmly as he welcomed them and offered them a seat. "I have been expecting you, my child," he said to Elara. "Your journey has been long and difficult, but you have overcome every obstacle with grace and determination." Elara felt a surge of pride and gratitude for the old sage's kind words.

Samael's words echoed through the vastness of the mountaintop as he uttered them with a voice that reverberated with a strange power. The old sage turned to him with a look of surprise, his eyes twinkling with a glint of recognition.

"You are Ortwin...The Envoy of the one God," Samael spoke with a sense of awe and reverence.

The old sage's face lit up in a smile as he looked at Samael. "I see, you know a lot about me. It is very rare to see someone who knows about me," he replied.

Ortwin, sensing their curiosity, smiled gently and began to speak. "Yes, I am Ortwin, the Envoy of the one God. I have been living in isolation on this mountaintop for many years.

Elara listened intently as Ortwin spoke, the wisdom and knowledge in his words shining through. Finally, unable to contain her curiosity any longer, she asked, "Ortwin, do you know the location of Ylanh, The Land of Wisdom?"

Ortwin's face grew serious as he nodded in response. "Yes, my child. The Land of Wisdom is a sacred place, hidden from the eyes of mortals. It is said to be a place of great power, where knowledge and magic are revered above all else. But be warned, the journey to reach it is perilous, and only those with a pure heart and unwavering determination can hope to make it there alive."

Elara and Samael exchanged a determined look, knowing that the road ahead would not be easy. But with Ortwin's guidance and their own courage, they felt ready to take on whatever challenges lay ahead.

Ortwin gazed intently at the ancient book as Elara opened it. The pages were blank, but he could sense the magic within it. "Please bring the book closer to me," he said to Elara. As she handed him the book, Ortwin closed his eyes and concentrated his powers. Suddenly, the blank pages of the book began to glow with a soft, golden light.

Elara gasped in amazement as she watched the pages fill with cryptic text and symbols. Ortwin explained, "This book is enchanted. Only those who possess the purest of hearts and the keenest of minds can decipher its secrets." He pointed to a passage in the text that read:

In the scorching desert, where the sun beats down,

A secret lies hidden, waiting to be found.

Amidst the endless dunes, a clue you'll see,

But only those with sharp eyes can set it free.

Look for the tracks of the desert's native beasts,

And follow them to where the sandstone meets.

There, beneath the blazing sun's harsh glare,

The key to Ylanh's wisdom will be laid bare.

Elara and her companions looked at each other, wondering how they could possibly solve this riddle.

Ortwin noticed their confusion and offered them a clue. "The answer lies in the natural order of things," he said cryptically. Elara and her companions were puzzled but took this as a hint to look for patterns in the desert's ecosystem.

Elara felt a sense of gratitude towards Ortwin, the wise old sage who had helped her journey to find Ylanh. She turned to him and said, "Thank you, Ortwin. Your guidance has been invaluable to us."

Ortwin smiled kindly and replied, "It is my pleasure to assist you, my child. Remember, the path to wisdom is often obscured, but with perseverance and faith, it can be found."

Khai's curiosity was piqued as he asked Ortwin about his past. Ortwin paused for a moment, looking into the distance as if recalling a distant memory. "Perhaps I used to be a mortal like you, but that was a long time ago," he said, his voice carrying a weight of age and wisdom.

"I have lived for over five thousand years, and in that time, I have witnessed the rise and fall of empires, the birth and death of great civilizations, and the passing of countless generations." The old sage's eyes sparkled with an ancient knowledge as he spoke, his voice carrying the weight of centuries of experience.

Everyone listened intently, captivated by Ortwin's words. It was as if they were hearing a tale from a time long forgotten, from a man who had lived through it all.

Ortwin's voice became heavy as he recounted his tragic past. "My beloved wife was one of the chosen to bear the Ashes Whisper. Our land was invaded by the Kingdom of Avalon. We were forced to flee, but they caught up with us. I was struck down, but my wife, in a moment of selfless love, gave me her blood to save my life. In that moment, I gained an eternal life, but at a great cost."

Ortwin's voice trembled as he spoke his wife's final words. "My dear, always guide the others, protect the innocent no matter what the cost. That is your duty. I love you..." He took a deep breath, trying to compose himself. "Her sacrifice has stayed with me for all these years, and it is what drives me to serve the one God and help those in need."

Ortwin's eyes welled up with tears as he spoke. "Since then, I have been chosen by the one God to be his messenger, to guide those who seek wisdom and enlightenment. But I have lived for over five thousand years, watching as kingdoms rise and fall, wars rage and civilizations crumble. And all the while, I have carried the pain of losing my wife, of being unable to save her."

Everyone listened in silence, feeling the weight of Ortwin's grief and loss. They could sense the pain etched in his eyes, but they also saw the unwavering determination and strength within him.

Finally, Ortwin spoke again, his voice filled with conviction. "But enough of my past. You have a journey ahead of you, and I have faith that you will find what you seek. Remember to stay true to yourselves and never lose hope."

Everyone nodded in agreement, grateful for the old sage's guidance and wisdom.

Khai's curiosity about the fate of Lord Goffridus was evident in his voice. "What happened to Lord Goffridus and his kingdom?" he asked Ortwin. The wise old sage's face grew solemn as he replied, "I apologize, my child. I do not know what became of Lord Goffridus or his kingdom. If you wish to uncover the truth, you must venture to the land of Avalon."

Khai's eyes widened in surprise. "Is there a way to reach Avalon?" he asked eagerly. Ortwin smiled kindly at Khai. "Yes, there is a way, but first you must aid Elara in her journey. Only then will the path to Avalon reveal itself to you."

Before they left the summit of Mount Ilios with heavy hearts, Elara asked Ortwin "when we will meet again?" "Sanctuary" he said. "Remember", "the magic, is within you. Use it wisely, and it will guide you on your path".

With those parting words. Elara and her companions, set off their journey to Ylanh, The Land of Wisdom, filled with hope and deterimination.