Chapter 56 : the Fall of Avalon Kingdom I

On the next day, upon their safe return, the celebrations echoed through the kingdom. Goffridus and Thrush met their father, and Goffridus spoke, "Father, we have found a manuscript. We believe this Amber Stone may cure your ailment."

The father nodded knowingly, "Ah, I see. Gather the alchemists from far and wide."

In response, Goffridus embarked on a journey to bring the alchemists together. After two weeks, he managed to gather them. Standing before the assembly, Goffridus addressed them, "We are grateful for your presence. Today, we have a task at hand—the creation of the Amber Stone."

Goffridus addressed the gathered alchemists, his voice resonating with conviction, "I know some among you may deem this a mere legend. But heed my words, for we have uncovered a manuscript detailing the might of the Amber Stone. It bears the potential to spare a multitude from suffering. If we succeed in forging this stone, I vow safe passage for each of you back to your homelands, and assistance in spreading its healing powers."

As the days and nights melded into one continuous effort, Goffridus and the alchemists toiled tirelessly in their pursuit of the Amber Stone. They meticulously mixed and heated ingredients, carefully following the ancient manuscript's instructions. Despite their dedication, their initial attempts met failure at every turn.

The workshop echoed with murmurs of frustration and determination, the air thick with the scent of brewing potions and the crackling of hearth fires. The alchemists, driven by Goffridus's unwavering resolve, persisted, their faces etched with determination and hope, even as fatigue gnawed at their resolve.

In the still of the night, the creation of the Amber Stone reached its conclusion. "At last, the Amber Stone," exclaimed Goffridus, his relief echoing through the room.

An alchemist spoke cautiously, "But my lord, we should test its powers before claiming it."

Goffridus nodded, understanding the need for certainty. Without hesitation, he seized a blade and pierced his hand, stunning all who watched. With the Amber Stone in hand, its gentle glow enveloped the wound. A profound silence followed, broken only by the soft radiance of the stone at work. Slowly, the wound healed, flesh knitting together, and in moments, Goffridus's hand was restored, as if untouched.

"Behold! The wondrous might of the Amber Stone, its healing power surpasses all expectations! With this, we can forge a utopia!" exclaimed Lord Goffridus. He hurried to his father's chamber, placing the stone upon his father's hand. A gentle warmth emanated from the stone, infusing its healing energy into the ailment, until the stone returned to its natural state.

As their father stirred and awakened, Goffridus asked eagerly, "How fare you now, father?"

His father responded, "Much better, my son."

Goffridus replied with a smile, "Rest well, Father." As Goffridus emerged from his father's chamber, a wounded guard crawled towards him. "What ails you? Who hath wrought this harm?" Goffridus inquired with concern.

The injured guard replied, "Thrush, my lord. 'Twas he who unleashed this upon us."

Goffridus, taken aback, exclaimed, "What treachery!"

The injured guard pleaded, "I implore thee, my lord. Thrush may be en route to the Alchemists. Thou must safeguard them."

Goffridus hastened to the Alchemists' chamber, only to discover a grisly scene - the lifeless forms of many Alchemists strewn about. With a final Alchemist standing before Thrush, Goffridus intervened just in time to thwart Thrush's fatal blow.

"Brother! How could thou..." Goffridus exclaimed.

"What standest thou for? Seize this opportunity! Flee!" Lord Goffridus urged the remaining Alchemist.