5| Delilah

"I can't believe this happened on my day off," I mutter to myself. But, to my dismay, Ethel hears and begins blabbering on.

"Oh, please, Dr Winston. You did amazing in there, honestly. I really do look up to you. The way you were able to control Mrs Riccardo, as bananas as she was in there. She is hilarious when she gives birth, especially when her face turns as red as a—"

I look up from my clipboard.

Ethel never stops blabbering. Even when a patient is in a fatal situation.

I give her a questioning look, but she shakes her head slightly and looks back down at the computer. When I look to the other nurses, they're all either running away, pretending to work, or staring behind me, completely gobsmacked.

I then turn around, only to be greeted with the chest of a tall and muscular body. I look up slowly, regretting my decision immediately when I'm faced with-

The idiot. I complete in my head.

After a few seconds of silence, and him towering over me with a look I can't quite place, I clear my throat and try to move back but I hit my back on the reception desk. He then steps back slightly, his hands on his hips, putting his forearms on full display from his rolled up sleeves.

"Delilah Winston," he speaks, sounding confident, and damn his voice is sexy as fuck-

I drop my pen after he said my name, staring at him in awe and observing his features. I don't think anyone, and I mean anyone, has ever said my name in a more sexier way.

His eyes are a dark and thunderous blue, matching his personality. And he was so, so fucking tall. Probably 6'2, maybe even 6'4. His jawline clenched as if he wants to say something, but he's holding himself back. He has chocolate coloured hair that's slicked back but a slight bit dishevelled from being up through the night. And his lips look so pink and plump, I'm sure just to kiss them would make me—

What the fuck, Delilah?! He's the same idiot that called you a fucking plaything-

"Mr Riccardo," I come back to my senses and quit gawking at the idiot, who seems to be holding back a smirk.

His eyes move down my body, as if he's undressing me with his own eyes. They then land on the floor, and when I think he's looking at my feet, I realise that my pen was still there.

I bend down for it but I can feel him moving closer. I look up cautiously at his amused face as he towers over me, once again.

My throat is dried up, and I almost fail to speak.

"H-how can i help you, Mr Riccardo?" I ask, which comes out as more of a squeak. Almost fail.

He grins widely and holds out his hand. I reach for it but stop myself and snap back up, standing as confidently as I can.

He shakes his head and his hand returns to his hip. "I actually came here to apologise to you, Ms Winston. For what I said earlier in the chambers, I—" He pauses and I wait. "I apologise,"

He rakes his hand through his locks and rests it on the back of his neck. "And I suppose I should thank you. I know how women can be when in labour, so thank you for putting up with my sister. To apologise, I'd like to take you for lunch, Delilah. Because I have a proposal for you,"

He says it as if I'll automatically say yes. I stare at him in astonishment and slight confusion. The apology and the thank you were already quite shocking, I'd assumed he came to insult me once again, but he instead apologised. And let's not forget the fact that he just ASKED ME OUT!

Seriously, what's with this guy?

I blink a few times, but his gaze remains as stern as ever. Eventually, I sigh and shake my head.

"I'm sorry, Mr Riccardo. Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to have to decline," I state as nonchalant as possible as I turn to begin walking away.

All of a sudden I felt his large hand snatch my upper arm, causing my body to turn around.

He glared into nowhere, as if racking his brain for something. "Why?" He demanded.

I sighed again and pulled my arm back, putting my hands on my hips to show my irritation.

"First of all, Mr Riccardo, it's 7 in the morning and I haven't even had breakfast yet-"

"Then I'll take you for breakfast." He says simply and takes my arm again, dragging me along with him as he walks.

I squirm in his grasp and try my best to get his hand off of me. Seriously, why is he so strong- Oh shut up!

"M-mr Riccardo- please- let go of me-" He ignores my struggled protests and walks on as if this is a normal thing to do to a person. "VANTE!" I yell finally and he stops dead in his tracks. He's frozen completely and I take this opportunity to snatch my arm out of his grasp, again for fuck's sake.

"Listen, I haven't slept in the past 2 days, so I am physically, mentally and, thanks to you, emotionally exhausted. And it's also supposed to be my day off," I scold him and he whips himself around to face me.

His one hand is in a fist on his side as the other rakes through his hair. "Delilah, I—"

"You, Mr Riccardo," I shove the clipboard onto his chest as I put emphasis on his name. Letting him know that he can't just call me by my first name as he pleases. "Will leave me alone so that I can go home and get some much needed sleep. The fact that you own this hospital doesn't mean that you can just dictate what I do or expect me to do as you say, because you're not my superior, and I'm not your 'little plaything',"

I march off, pride filling my step and a wide grin on my face. I've finally gotten my revenge. I knew I was strong enough to fight him. That idiot, honestly. For a billionaire, he's really a weirdo.

I jump up at the thought of me finally defeating him. But when I realise that people are watching, I run towards the locker rooms to change out of my scrubs and finally go home.

~~