10| Vante

I watch as her face contorts into different emotions. It is amusing...

"Delilah," I begin, not bothering to look at the waitress who I can feel gawking at me. "Please, order whatever you'd like,"

I know she's probably worried about spending, a nurse doesn't get payed that much in England anyways and this is a pricy restaurant.

"I-I'll just have the mushroom soup, please?" Delilah says. Although she's supposed to be speaking to the waitress, it's more as though she's asking me because she's also not looking at the waitress.

I shake my head and reach for my whiskey. I honestly can't believe this woman. I'm giving her the chance to have literally anything on this menu but she chooses the mushroom soup?! That will not fill her up...

I could fill her up to the brim— shut up!

"O-oh, then that's okay," Delilah begins and she puts the menu down. "I-I'm not really that hungry anyway—"

I snatch the menu from Delilah's hands and open it. There's no fucking way she's not hungry, and I don't ever wanna hear her say that again. I scan the menu silently and then look up at the waitress.

"Can I get two bowls of mushroom soup for our starters, two lasagnas for the mains and..." I contemplate on what to order for dessert so I look up from the menu to meet Delilah sitting with her eyes widened.

Her hands are held up in some attempt to shield her from whatever she thought I'd do. When I'm silent, Delilah looks at me and slightly puts her arms down, still holding them up in case.

"Delilah, what would you like to eat for dessert?" I hand the menu to her over the table and she shakes her hands.

"Oh, no, Mr Riccardo, that's okay. Please, there's no need to spend any money on me—"

"Oh, but there is. Now, take the menu, Delilah, and order dessert for us," I instruct in a stern but gentle tone.

Delilah brings her arms down completely and takes the menu. She opens it up and scans over the deserts until her eyes stop on one.

She looks up at me and then back to the menu. I frown at her when she looks at me again and she frowns in return and looks at the menu. After a moment, Delilah closes the menu gracefully and hands it to the waitress.

With a smile on her face she begins to order. "For dessert, Mr Riccardo and I will have..." she turns to me with a wide smile and I raise my brow, challenging her in return. "The vanilla creme brulee,"

At first I'm surprised, but then I relax as the waitress walks away.

"Ms Winston, what a fox you are," I begin and her face tints red but she keeps a calm expression and her demeanor is relaxed.

"Well, Mr Riccardo, you did say I could order anything I wanted," she puts on an innocent face and pouts. "And you said that money isn't a problem,"

I feel the grin spread across my face. "Well played, Delilah. Well played..."

She is smart. The creme brulee only costs £20 each but considering she was worried about spending my money and ordered the most expensive dessert Delilah sure knows how to play.

"So, Ms Winston, what do you think of my proposal?" I bring up the subject again. I'm getting the feeling that she's trying to avoid it. "Do you agree to giving birth to my son?"

Delilah stays quiet. She reaches for her hot chocolate and begins stirring it slowly.

"Mr Riccardo, may I ask you a question?" She says, still stirring and staring into her cup.

When she looks up at me, I nod and sit back, awaiting her question.

"Why?" Is all she says and tilts her head slightly.

I know what she's asking, but I want her to say it.

"Why what?" I feign ignorance.

She looks at me knowingly but continues anyway. "Why did you choose me of all people. I'm sure there are richer and prettier girls out there who are dying to give birth to your baby. I'm just a nurse who you met a few hours ago," She chuckles slightly. "So, why on earth would you choose me?"

She leans forward, resting her arms on the table and going back to stirring her hot chocolate.

I think over her question before answering it. I don't wanna give too much away.

"Yes, there are richer girls," I pause, thinking about how to answer the rest. "Though, they all either threw themselves at my feet or shoved their breasts in my face," I grimace at the thought. None of those girls have any drop of self-respect—

My thoughts are cut off by Delilah laughing. It's the first time I've heard her genuinely laughing, and it sounds amazing. I want to hear her laugh again.

When I realise I'm staring at her, I shake the thought out of my head and recompose myself.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask.

Delilah stops laughing and I yearn to hear her laugh more... oh, but there are better sounds that could come out of her mouth—

"I'm just surprised that you'd talk so open about something like that," She says, her voice laced with amusement and a tinge of playfulness.

"You should be used to it, Ms Winston. You're a nurse after all," I reply, adding that same tinge of playfulness to my voice.

Before she can say anything else, the waitress brings over our soup with mini bread loafs. She smiles widely at me and I just give a tight smile before she walks away.

When I look to Delilah, she's gawking at the food, almost as if she's afraid to touch it. I observe her as I reach for a loaf and break it in half.

"Ms Winston, the soup will grow cold if you stare at it for too long, you know," I say sternly which grabs her attention.

I hold out the other half of the loaf and she takes it cautiously. She dips it into her soup and blows on it gently.

The steam travels into the air as she blows and her lips look so soft as she opens them and takes a bite of the bread. Her eyes widen the moment she starts chewing and so she dips the bread in multiple times until it's finished.

Delilah reaches for her spoon and digs in. She pauses and looks up at me, with an innocent look of guilt in her eyes.

"I haven't eaten since yesterday..." she explains herself to me and I just smile and begin eating while she follows suit.

——— T.B.B ———

A/n
Over 300 reads omgggggggg.
Thank youuuu so muchhh and I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story!
Pls vote, comment and follow me for updates ig?
Idk I'm not good with this whole thing lol.
<3