11| Delilah

——— T.B.B ———

We eat in silence, but— oh my fucking god the food tastes amazing!

I've always seen this place because it's on my way to work and I thought it would be just another pricy restaurant with bad food, but I have to say...

Vante sure knows how to get a woman. Speaking of which...

"Mr Riccardo, suppose I agreed to this proposal of yours, which I haven't," I pause and take another spoon of my soup. Vante continues eating but he looks up at me while he eats, not leaving my eyes once.

I gulp before I speak again. "How would everything work? We both lead different and separate lives, so having a baby is a big step and change,"

Vante puts down his spoon and thinks for a moment. I take my spoon and return to eating while definitely not gawking at his beautifully sculpted face. I do still hate him though... just a tiny bit less than before.

"Well, there would obviously be a contract stating terms that benefit both of us, and we will have a meeting to discuss those terms so that all is fair," He speaks in a business tone. It snaps me out of my thoughts and back to reality which, with this soup, doesn't feel the slight bit like reality.

I nod my head, gesturing for him to go on.

"You'd come live with me for the duration of the pregnancy—"

"What?" I blink a few times. There's no way this man wants me to live with him. There's no way he'd even consider it! "You want me," I point to myself. "To come live with you?" I give a sarcastic chuckle. "No,"

He raises a brow but continues speaking. "You will come live with me so that I can monitor your health and safety. Anyone who knows me ends up getting tailed and possibly killed, so being under my roof is the safest option for you and the baby,"

I'm astonished. He should really be lawyer, this guy knows how to win an argument. I think of different ways where I can catch him off guard but nothing comes to mind.

I look back down at my food and an idea hits me. "What about food?" I begin. This does catch him slightly off guard but he remains relaxed and ready to listen. "Pregnant women do get cravings, you know. So, how would you alone be able to handle that?" I smirk and cross my arms as I lean back.

Vante thinks for a second and replies in a calm yet daring tone. "All food will be available to you whenever you'd like it," he pauses and then frowns. "Except for alcohol."

He's stern all of a sudden and the sudden switch sends chills down my spine.

"I don't even drink much anyway," I mumble into my hot chocolate.

"Oh, and also no ramen or hospital food will be allowed," he states taking a spoonful of soup.

Ramen and hospital food? Why would he ramen and hospital food— wait a minute.

"Hey, who gave you the right to look through my cupboards? I can ramen any time I want, you can't expect me to just stop," I scold him lightly. He doesn't seem bothered by my scolding and continues eating, but I catch the small smile creeping onto his face.

He's not my boss so he doesn't get to control everything I do. Besides, it's not like I'm gonna marry him or know him forever—

A thought then comes to mind. I recompose myself and put my hot chocolate down.

"W-What about... the ending?" I ask cautiously, a slight bit scared of the answer I might get.

He takes one spoon of his soup and gets serious again. "Well, if everything goes well, you'll give birth to the baby and you'll have some time to recover. You'll be able to breastfeed the baby because I do not believe in wet nurses or whatever they're called. And when the baby starts recognising faces, you can then leave continue with your normal life. It's better this way because the baby won't have to know that you exist so there'll be no sadness or anything,"

I freeze completely. I can't actually believe he said that. I had a feeling that that was the type of answer I'd get, but he didn't have to be so blunt about it.

"O-oh..." Is what I manage to get out.

I can feel tears forming in my eyes and bile running up in my throat. I'm starting to regret ever coming to this lunch. I wish I had never even met this guy.

He's so heartless, so cruel. He's not even considering the psychological side of this situation. Even if a woman becomes a surrogate mother, she would still have some deeply emotional connection towards the baby. So, to separate a mother and a baby, especially so early in the relationship is torture. It means she'll never get to see them grow up, she won't see them walk for the first time, hear their first word. I won't be the first person they see...

The waitress comes to take our bowls away and another brings us our mains. I don't think I want to eat this food anymore. I don't want to be indebted to him or know him in any possible way. I don't think I ever wanna see him again after this.

He's a jerk. An emotionless, uncaring, cruel and vile dick!

I don't talk to him for the rest of lunch, only nodding, shaking my head or giving an 'uh-huh' here and there. I can't find it in me to talk to this man. If he can even be considered a man.

***
The car stops in front of my apartment building and I already feel a lot better seeing the cream coloured bricks and black framed windows.

I sigh and reach to open the door but it opens before I can even touch the handle. It's swung open by Mr Riccardo and he holds out his hand for me to take it.

I take it because the car is very high and after I jump down, I pull my hand back, avoiding eye contact with him. I can feel his eyes on me the entire time as we walk into the building but I don't give him the satisfaction of looking back. His stare feels a lot more intense when we enter the elevator.

I'm only on the fifth floor but the elevator ride seems like forever. I keep my eyes locked on the screen that shows the numbers of the passing floors.

We're on the second floor when I hear Mr Riccardo heave a sigh.

"Delilah, what's going on?" He asks.

I scoff and shake my head. Remaining silent and nonchalant.

I hear him shuffling and then he's in front of me, his left arm leaning on the wall of the elevator as he leans his face down and speaks again.

"What. Is. Wrong." He demands in a low tone.

I glare at him, standing my ground. "Nothing. Is. Wrong. Mr Riccardo."

I fold my arms but he leans in closer, causing me to step back. My eyes widen slightly but I'm able to hide my shock.

My eyes follow his as he scans my face, looking for something to let him know that I'm lying. He takes another step and I step as far back as I can but the back of the elevator has me trapped.

He raises his other arm, setting it next to my head but I stay calm.

"Delilah..." he begins. His tone is deadly and my arms drop. There's a devilish glint in his eyes and I can't keep calm anymore.

"You're gonna have to tell me what's going on. Because your attitude right now will not get you off this elevator," He is stern. His voice is still deadly and it's husky.

My heart rate is increasing and I can feel the tears threatening to fall out of my eyes.

"You-You're so heartless, Mr Riccardo," The tears start falling and I shut my eyes, trying my best to stop them.

——— T.B.B ———
A/n
My exams are overrr so now I'll be able to post more frequently!
I'll work out which days I can post and I'll let you know on my Poetizer account.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you for all the reads and votes.
<3