41| Vante

"He's gonna kill me..." Sofia mutters, choking on her words as he eyes begin to tear up. Her body remains stiff when Delilah places a hand on her back.

"Sofia..." Delilah's voice is soft and gentle.

"Amore," I whisper beside her ear, "What happened? And where are your contraction—"

Delilah sends me a pointed look. She mouths 'later' before turning her attention back to Sofia.

It took 20 minutes to calm Sofia down and keep her from having a nervous breakdown. But soon Delilah gave her a sleeping tablet for that and now she's joined me in the living room.

I gaze up at her as she sits down, concern etched onto my features and flooding my mind. Once she's comfortably seated next to me, she sips her mug of cappuccino before speaking.

"We were in the lobby, looking at the little children dressed in elf costumes," she pauses to smile. "Then we met a guy called Jakob, who you saw in the elevator..."

She goes on to explain everything and by the time she's done, my mind is clouded with anger. I don't even say anything. I don't even know who to be angry with.

Technically, Sofia didn't do anything wrong, whereas Liam's been unfaithful on many occasions. But the fact that Sofia's scared for her life and that Liam is a person more than willing to take it from her is what gets me.

"Let her stay for the night?" Delilah pleads to which I reply with a nod. "It'll give them both time to...calm down..."

Delilah's tone's changed as I've started pacing around the room, raking my hands through my hair.

"Calm down and think things through..." she repeats, directing her words towards me instead as she gives me a pointed look.

I stop in my tracks, taking in deep breaths as I think. Well, I try to. The anger clouding my mind keeps any reasonable thoughts from coming through.

I take a step towards Delilah on the couch. My had reaches out to take hers as I kneel down in front of her. I sigh, some stress leaving my shoulders, though there's still so much.

She gently caresses my hand with her thumb and parts her lips to speak.

A ding sounding from the elevator cuts the moment off and we both turn towards the doors.

An attendant stands in the elevator, holding a piece of paper at her stomach. "I have delivery for Mrs Delilah Riccardo,"

Her twisted english is evident and she holds the paper up higher.

I stand up to retrieve it but when I hold my hand out, she flinches back.

"I-I have instructions to give letter to o-only Mrs Riccardo," she stutters, looking past me to find Delilah.

I turn to her with furrowed brows and she looks just as confused as I am. She slowly stands up, walking over to the situation.

When she holds her hand out, the attendant wastes no time in practically throwing the letter at Delilah before she begins spamming the buttons with an awkward smile on her features.

After the doors close, I turn to Delilah, who's so frozen in confusion that when she looks at me, she can barely speak.

She eventually decides on opening the letter and she reads it carefully. Her demeanour changes as she reads through, her brows furrowing, eyes widening, mouth gaping open in all different emotions.

Slowly, she looks up, not looking at me but rather in the distance.

"What does it say?" I question with mild caution.