42| Delilah

I'm so sorry.

I sob into my hands as I slide down the wall.

I'm sorry, Vante.

Apologising as much as I possibly can, to no extent.

I was wrong.

Vante's not even here.

Please don't go

I'm not even able to get the words out of my mouth.

I'm sorry.

Tear stream down my face as I slide down, meeting the ground and wishing there was a hole in it. Then I could fall into the core of the earth and never have to worry about this anymore.

I wouldn't have to deal with the guilt.

I wouldn't have to keep so many secrets, see jameson's stupid face or face the barrel of a gun head on again. I wouldn't have to put my child at such risk.

My hands instinctively go to my stomach, holding it. Protecting our daughter—

My daughter.

His daughter... I guess I'm no longer the mother of this child. And that thought sends me over the edge. Not even into a fit of sobs. I'm frozen. Stuck.

I don't even know what to think anymore. More tears are streaming down my face, but I can't feel them anymore. There are so many. One after the other. There was so much guilt.

My daughter.

"Please..." I cry out. "Please, please please,"

My pleas coming out as whispers as I lean my head back. I choke once and the crying begins again. Sobs and tears.

My daughter. It sound's like he's right here. He sounds angry. Ready to snatch the baby from my arms.

My sobs grow louder until I've got no control over my crying. "Why did I do it?"

The question runs through my mind and I feel dizzy. My nose buzzing and my eyes blurry from the tears. Everything feels cold, dark. My chest feels heavy and aching as if a bullet's been shot right through me.

And there was one: my daughter.

It was all for nothing. Everything was nothing.

I gasp when a hand cups my cheek. It's warm and welcoming.

"Delilah..." Sofia hums. "Why are you crying— oh!"

I cut her off by wrapping my arms around her. She returns the embrace, rubbing her hands on my back and whispering assurances into my ears.

"It's okay, Delilah. Calm down, my love. Shhh," she says and I only break down even more.

"Why-" I begin and choke on my words. "Why is it like this? Why did it have to be so- so complicated and- risky? Why-"

Sofia hugs me tight. I can hear her sighing as she continues to soothe my back.

"Delilah..." she begins as she pulls away. Her hands cup my cheeks and she wipes the tear off with her thumbs. The look in her eyes screams concern, guilt and sorrow. "Come with me,"

She stands up and grabs hold of my hands. She lifts me up and I stand to my feet. I look down in guilt and shame.

I'm too guilty to even face my own best friend.

"I'm sorry, Sofia..." I mumble, sniffling as I wipe my face and pull away. "This is all my fault, I should've been stronger. But I was weak and—"

"Hey," she cuts me off with her stern voice. "No best friend of mine is weak. I heard what you said and... well, if everything happened as you say, then I can understand why you feel guilty. Jameson is a sick man, but a determined one as well. Don't worry, Vante will know how to fix it,"