~ 23 ~

Derek's mother had planned to stay in Seattle for a few weeks so she could spend time with the kids since she hadn't seen them in a while.

she always saw her other grandkids every day if not every other. all her other kids lived in New York and she always babysat the kids for them but she never saw Derek's kid. her only son moved to another city and was almost always too busy to ever call.

today was a slow day at there were almost no surgeries whatsoever. he had only performed five surgeries in the many hours he had been there and he was getting bored.

he had no patients to check on. he had no surgeries to perform, he had no friends to talk to because Mark had taken the day off to go on a date with someone he had met at the mall the other day which Mark had forced Derek to go with him.

he wasn't going to go at first until Mark insulted him using the words 'you smell like crap, I don't know why your girlfriend has sex with you. you need a new cologne' he was taken back by the harsh insult.

he recommended Derek went with since he was already going to the mall to pick up a new cologne himself and figured Derek could use one as well.

he rarely wore cologne unless it was a special occasion or when he planned on seeing Meredith. he has also never really given the scent a thought. he had purchased it when he was still with Addison.

she had brought up that he needed a new cologne and he didn't want to disagree knowing it would start an argument so he just went along with it. she had picked out the same cologne he wore every time he saw Meredith.

when he went with Mark he had tried a few scents but he couldn't find one he wanted to wear everyday.

the only thought he had in mind when he tested one was 'would Meredith like it' and that's what he told Mark when he recommended one, and then he called him whipped.. he left that store to another soon after without telling Mark, leaving him alone in the store not knowing where Derek had went.

in another store he had picked out when he had sort of liked. he figured he try it out to see if it would grow on him. he bought the travel size just in case he didn't like it he wouldn't have wasted his money.

Derek was in the midst of paining when Mark had found him and ranted about him leaving him alone in another store and leaving without telling him.

"You two are such a cute couple" the casher giggled at the sight of them both. Derek's heard sunk when he was mistaken for Mark partner.

he looked at Mark expecting the same reaction and for him to correct the cashier, but he didn't.

"Well he has been talking about proposing a lot lately so I guess you could say that," Mark smiled at the lady.

"I'm going to kill you, I'm actually going to kill you dead," he glared back at him. the casher handed him the bag and his card back.

"I hope to have a few children in the future as well," Mark smiled softly as a pathetic act of comfort.

"Shut up. let's go," he rolled his eyes before they both left the store, Mark laughing behind him as they did so.

Meredith had also laughed at him for it when he told her, he was the only person who didn't find it hilarious.

he walked into the chiefs office and asked for the rest of the day off.

he let him have the rest of the day off without an argument due to the lack of patients and emergencies. he approved of his request and let him have the day off to spend the rest of the day with his family.

when Derek arrived at home he found all three kids outside playing on the yard, well Michael and Violet were playing and Madeleine was reading on the bench out front.

he walked over to the kids and greeted them both before taking a seat next to her mother.

"How come you're home so early?" his mother asked him.

"Slow day, there was no surgeries, no emergencies... life is pretty boring when people aren't dying," he sighed.

"Your girlfriend was here," Madeleine spoke up.

"she was?" he asked and his mother nodded in return.

"Yes, you leave a lot of things at her place, how often do you stay the night?" she asked.

"Not so loud, the kids don't know," he whispered.

"You haven't told them you spend the night at her place?"

"I do, but they don't know how often.. I forgot some of my things at her place and I asked her to drop them off," she nodded.

"Where's dad?" He asked as he noticed his father wasn't in sight.

"He's inside fixing your sink, he noticed it wasn't working very well,"

"Oh gosh," he sighed before standing up and going into the house to see what his father was up to.

**************************************
Words: 877

**************************************Words: 877