~ 40 ~

It was now the end of the day, everyone had left and Meredith was very thankful that the house was now quiet.

She had gotten used to a loud house since moving in. She hadn't known how loud three kids could be. She was always a quiet child.

But the Shepherd kids were going to have a much better childhood than she did so maybe that was the reason.

But the sound of more than ten adults in the house along with many more young children running around was much louder than she was used to.

She wasn't upset or complained, she was just happy the day had come to an end.

She couldn't say any of Derek's sisters really liked her. She got along with Lizzie and Amelia but they still didn't know her well enough to like her.

Nancy and Kathleen were another story. They weren't outraged with hatred towards her but they made remarks here and there and they weren't shy of showing their strong dislikes and disapproval of her.

She had gotten worse from her own mother so she was able to put aside her emotions when it came to it.

She hadn't told Derek every time it happened but he overheard some of it and scolded his sisters.

It was now eleven o'clock and the kids had already passed out on the couch and carpet but Meredith and Derek weren't able to fall asleep as easily.

They sat on the couch in each other's arms as they finished the movie the kids had started.

"So, what did you think of tonight?" He asked.

"Well it was definitely something," she smiled.

"A bad something?" He asked.

"No, it was just... I don't know, I've never gotten far enough into a relationship to meet the parents or the family," she said.

"I know Nancy and Kathleen weren't very pleasant but you seemed to get along with Lizzie and Amy pretty well," he said.

"Yeah, they're nice... Lizzie asked me if we were thinking about kids," she trailed off at the thought.

"What did you tell her?" He said.

"I told her we've discussed it but we haven't made a decision yet. I didn't want to say no and then pop out a kid a year later but I didn't want to tell her we were trying," she said.

"That's good, that's a good answer," he said. He stared at her for a bit before speaking again.

"Are you sure you want to do this? I don't want you to do this because you think I want to have more. If you don't then we don't have to," he said.

"Derek.. I'm the one who brought this up, I'm the one who told you I wanted to start trying for a baby. I wouldn't lie about something like that," she said.

"I know, I just don't want you to do something and then regret it later," he said.

"I know. I've thought about it and I know what I want. I want a baby," she said.

"Okay," he smiled. "I just don't want you to feel like you have to want kids to make me happy," he said.

"Well you already have three, I kind of have to want to have kids to make you happy," she said.

"You know what I mean," he gently kissed her cheek.

"I'm sure this is what I want," she nodded. "Okay," he kissed her on the lips before pulling her closer.

Once the movie finished Derek took both Madeleine and Michael to bed while Meredith carried Violet to her bedroom.

She helped Violet into her pyjamas before gently tucking her in.

Just as Meredith was about to leave her room she heard Violet's voice.

"Wait, can you read me a bedtime story? I'm awake again," Violet said as she sat up a bit.

"Uh sure, which one?" She asked as she walked over to Violet's large bookshelf with many of her children's books as well as some stuffed animals.

"The Princess and the Frog," she grabbed the correct book from the shelf and walked over to Violet's bedside.

She sat down on the edge of the bed and began reading her a story. "Once upon a time there was a Princess..." the story began.

By the end of the story, Violet was now fast asleep. She shut the book and placed it back on the shelf.

She shut off the bedside lamp before leaving the bedroom, keeping the door open a bit.

She was about to go downstairs when she felt something begin to rise from her stomach to her throat.

She made it to the upstairs bathroom and released everything inside her until she could taste the bitter taste of stomach acid.

She went back downstairs where their bedroom was and got dressed into a soft pair of silk pyjamas, brushed her teeth before getting into bed where Derek already was reading a medical journal.

"What took so long with Violet?" He asked.

"She woke up and wanted me to read her a bedtime story," she said as she grabbed a book from her bedside.

"The princess and the frog?" He chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, what is that, the hundredth time this week?" She said.

"Just about," he replied.

They read their books in comfortable silence accompanied by the sound of pages flipping.

Once they were tired they closed their books and placed them to the side. Meredith was first to lay down and Derek accompanied her ten minutes later, not forgetting to put in his earplugs of course.

As she was half asleep she felt Derek kiss her cheek and pull her in by the waist.
They linked their hands before drifting off the sleep.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Suggestions???