~ 44 ~

Today was the day they were going to tell the kids Meredith was pregnant. They had thought it out as thoroughly as possible.

They didn't want to upset any of the kids into thinking their father was marrying another woman and starting a new family and was going to forget about him.

She had recently found out she was three months far along. The people other people they had told were their best friends, Cristina and Mark. No one else knew.

The kids didn't have school that day and Meredith and Derek both took the day off from work.

It was a very calm day for them. The kids didn't have as much energy as usual. Meredith and Derek sat on the couch, comfortable in each other's presence.

While Madeleine and Violet played on the carpet and Michael was out of their sight.

"Do you think we should tell them now?" Meredith asked as his arm was wrapped around her.

"We could, do you think it's a good time?" He asked.

"I don't really think there is a perfect time but if there was it would be now," she said.

"Alright," I sighed. "Maddy, Violet, are you listening?" He asked.

"Yes, Daddy," Violet said. "Yes, Dad," Madeleine replied.

"You both know Meredith and I have been together for a while now and we'll be getting married in a couple of months... Meredith is going to be having a baby," he said.

They both stopped playing and held their places as they thought about what that meant.

"There's going to be a baby?" Madeleine asked. "Yes, Meredith is pregnant," Derek smiled.

"Are you the daddy?" Violet asked. "Yes," he answered. "And you're our daddy?" She asked.

"Yes, I'll still be your daddy," he said. "So we get another brother or sister?" Madeleine said.

"Yes, you'll get another brother or sister, is that okay?" He said.

"Yeah, I guess," Madeleine shrugged and went back to playing.

"Violet, what do you think?" Meredith asked. "I'm happy! I always wanted a baby brother or sister," she giggled.

"Okay, that didn't go too badly," he whispered in her ear.

"Yes but Michael still doesn't know," she said. "I'm sure Violet will let it slip once he gets down here," he said. She nodded.

"You don't want to tell him yourself, it might come off wrong," she said.

"If Violet tells it she'll sugarcoat more than we could," he says.

"You know I don't really think I know Michael very well, I mean it's about six months and I don't know him very well. Madeleine and Violet, sure, but Michael... I know nothing, other than that he's nine and born August 14th," she said.

"Don't worry about it, I barely even know him, he keeps to himself," he says.

"From his own father?" She said. "He's been that way since his mother left, he only ever opened up to her," he said.

"Why, were they psychopaths together?" She asks. "What is it with you and thinking Michaels a psychopath?" He chuckled.

"I know don't, Cristina mentioned it and now I can't get it out of my head. That's one of the cons of having a crazy best friend," she said.

"Do you think he's a psychopath?" He asked. "I don't know, I mean it's possible, but it's rare. He could just be depressed,
Maybe have him see a child psychiatrist," she said.

"Won't that make him think there's something wrong with him?" He says.

"Everyone needs therapy, it's like taking a shower, cleaning your brain," she said.

"Do you go to therapy?" He asked. "No, I have too many problems for that. They'd just want to talk about my mommy mad daddy issues," she said.

"You should talk about your mommy and daddy issues," he said. "Why? My father's gone with another family and my mother's in a nursing home. None of that matters," she said.

"Well you never talk about it with me, you should talk about it with someone," he said.

"No, we're not turning this around on me, we're talking about Michael's mommy issues, not mine," she said.

"No I'm serious, you should talk about it," he said. "What's there to talk about, she sucked as a mother, my father left when I was five, I don't remember him, there's nothing to talk about," she said.

"That's a lot to talk about," he said. "No, it's not. It was decades ago," she said.

"Well if you want to talk, I'm here," he says. "Yeah, yeah, you're a very loving fiancée," she says.

"I am. And I am here for you," he said. "Maybe you should talk to Michael, he can still be helped, it's too late for me," she said.

"It's never too late," he said. "Derek," she said. "I'll talk to him when he comes downstairs," he said.

"Well here he comes, get talking," she said before standing up and going to the bathroom.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Suggestions???