~ 33 ~

Derek had laid with Meredith until she fell asleep. he still couldn't believe that she had survived the accident, he knew there was only a fifty percent of her waking up and even though that may seem like a lot it didn't feel like much when it was someone whom you loved and planned the spend the rest of your life with.

He knew he loved Meredith, he knew he was in love with her and never wanted her to leave his life and he thought he knew how much he loved her until she was in a car accident and there was a fifty percent chance that he was never going to see her, smell her, hear her voice, and touch her ever again.

in those three weeks, Meredith was in a coma for he learned how much he really needed her in his life, how much he truly did love and care for her.

he had never felt that way about anyone else, especially with Addison. he never wished her any harm but he knew he wouldn't have felt that much emotion and love for her if it had been her in that hospital bed.

Addison had caused him and his children so much pain. it was very easy to get over the fact that Addison had left him but it did hurt him.

he wasn't in pain because she cared so little for him, it hurt him because he didn't realize how little she cared for their three children.

all of the children were still so young when she had left and she didn't even have to think twice about it before she packed her things and left in the middle of the night.

she never called asking to speak to Violet or Michael, she never tried salvaging the damage she had done, and she had never made an attempt to apologize to any of the kids for leaving and never coming back.

she only ever called Madeleine once a month. Addison and Madeleine were close before Addison left, Madeleine was a Mommy's girl and stayed true to that even after she left.

Addison knew that so she used it to her advantage, she knew Violet would hardly remember her and Michael had been closer to Derek when she stopped paying so much attention to him around the age of four.

But Madeleine was the only one who always wanted Addison, she always had looked up to her mother no matter what the situation was.

He never knew what true love was until he met Meredith. after everything he had been through with Addison, he never planned on finding someone whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, especially with his kids, he didn't want to put them through that.

but with Meredith that all went away, he knew it wouldn't be easy but he knew it would be worth it. he knew true love was worth the wait.

Now that Meredith was asleep he took advantage of the time to clean up the room and bit. he left the bedroom and went into the living room and waited for his parents to return with the kids.

he had told the kids previously that Meredith would be there when they got back. he had explained that Meredith was going to need his help with a lot of things due to the shattering in both her legs.

they understood and he made sure that they knew he would be giving her a lot of attention, not because he loved her more than them but because she needed it and wasn't physically able to do them on her own.

Madeleine already knew that because he had explained it to her when they were at the hospital when Meredith woke up.

she mentioned that she thought he would be happier when Meredith woke up. he knew that he hadn't shown the amount of emotion that he was feeling when he realized that Meredith was awake.

of course, he was thrilled that she was awake but he was also relieved. the reason he didn't show much emotion to Meredith waking up was because he knew that it wasn't over yet.

when Meredith was in a coma her body was still healing and she wasn't in any pain, but now that she was awake she would be in a lot of pain and would have to take a lot of strong painkillers that many patients had gotten addicted to and couldn't stop taking them.

when she was asleep she wasn't suffering but now she was going to feel everything in her body, she had already taken four painkillers that day and it was only two in the afternoon. he had given her one before she fell asleep, there was a pain in her hip that wasn't allowing her to drift off.

the car accident wasn't in their past yet, the coma had been just the start of what was coming next and they were going to have to get past a rough road before they could put it all behind them and get back to living their lives.

it would be months, almost a year before Meredith was going to be able to get back into the swing of things and start working again.

she would have to start going to physical therapy when her legs weren't so bad and even then she would still have to progress before she could be fully capable on her own.

he had checked on Meredith one last time to make sure she was still asleep when he heard a car pull into the driveway. his parents and the kids were home.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Words: 950

Suggestions??