~ 30 ~

Derek walked into Madeleine's bedroom to find her sitting in her bed. he walked over to her and laid next to her on her bed.

"Is Meredith going to die?" she asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I don't know," he kept his eyes closed.

"What if she does die?"

"Then we'll plan a funeral,"

"No, seriously Dad... what if she dies?" She asked turning to look at her father.

"I.. I don't know, there wouldn't be anything we could do... there's a fifty-fifty chance she lives.. there's nothing they can do and there's nothing I can do.. we just have to wait," he spoke.

"Why did it happen to her?"

"Because there are idiots in the world who don't care about anyone other than themselves.. they'll do whatever it takes to get what they want no matter who gets hurt in the process," he sighed.

"Like mom?" She asked.

"Yes, like your mother," he nodded.

"I know she's never coming back... I just wanted to make sure she wasn't coming back.. in case she ever changed her mind I wanted to be the one person who knew she was coming back because no one else did.. but now I know she's never coming... and now Meredith might not either," she said.

"Meredith really did care about you.. she always thought about you and what you would think, she did it with all you kids but she did especially with you because she knew you were affected the most when your mother left.. she left early some mornings because she didn't think you would be okay with her staying the night, she did her best to make sure you wouldn't be uncomfortable... that's why she didn't come over often.. she didn't want you to feel like it was no longer your home... she cared a great deal about you," he said.

"Why though? She hardly knows me or anything about me?"

"Because she knew you didn't have a mother who did.. Meredith knows what it's like, her father left when she was younger than you, she was Violet's age and her mother wasn't a very nice woman.. she knows how you feel,"

"Do you think she's going to wake up?"

"I don't know, no one knows... we just have to wait... I'm actually going to the hospital in a bit, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.. you can see Meredith, you can see the inside of a hospital,"

"Yeah.. sure, it should t be too awkward considering she's asleep,"

"Why don't you get ready, you'll probably have to meet all of Meredith's friends and Meredith seems to talk a lot about me and they know I have three kids so they'll probably know who you are," he said as he sat up.

"Did she tell them I hate her?" She asked.

"Yes, her best friend who told her to leave me when she found out I have three kids,"

"How come She didn't listen to Her?"

"Because she wanted to know what kind of person I was first before she decided if she wanted to be with me or not,"

"And she liked you?"

"Surprisingly. Get dressed," he stood up and left her bedroom.

After they both got dressed they got into the car and he drove to the hospital.

When they arrived Derek took Madeleine to Meredith's room. She looked the same as she did the day before, everything was the same.

He walked into the room but Madeleine stayed at the doorway.

"It's okay, Madeleine, she's asleep," he told her but she continued to stand by the door, staring at Meredith's still body.

She looked like she was sleeping, but she wasn't. Nobody laid so still when they slept. She looked as if she was frozen in place.

"Madeleine, you're fine. You can't stand there the entire time. Come here," she slowly walked into the room, her eyes set on Meredith as she stood next to where her father sat next to Meredith's bed.

"Are you scared? It's only Meredith, you've met her before," he spoke.

"This is different," she said quietly. "I know. She can't talk, she can't move, she can't eat," I sighed looking at Meredith.

"How does she stay alive if she can't eat.. or go to the bathroom?" She asked.

"There's a tube that goes to her stomach, it gives her all the proteins and fats she needs to stay healthy.. she also has a catheter since can't she go to the restroom herself," he told her.

"How long will she be like this?"

"No one knows that," he sighed. She had asked that same question numerous of times and the answer stayed the same.

"She'll wake up when she wakes up, if she gets better she'll wake up.. but if she doesn't then she won't. No one has control over that but her," he said.

"Are you scared?" She asked. He pulled his eyes away from Meredith and looked at his daughter.

"Scared of what?" He asked.

"Are you scared she won't wake up? And then you'll have nobody?"

"..Yes, Yes I'm very scared she won't wake up.. I don't know what I'll do if she doesn't wake up," he said as tears filled his eyes.

She didn't know what else to say or to ask. She moved to sit on his lap. He lifted her onto his thigh and held her there.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him tightly, he put his arms around her and held her.

"She'll be okay," she whispered. She didn't know if she was going to be okay, nobody did. But him hearing it might help him believe she'd be okay.

**************************************
Words: 957

Suggestions???