8: Where Dream Shatters

"Athy!"

"Ye—yes! I'm ready to go!"

Athanasia stood up from the seat, eyes went slightly wider, head turned left and right, completely lost. That was when her godmother took away the papers in her hands and the young woman let out a small protest.

"It's not even seven in the morning, Athy," said Lilian as she served a plate of breakfast in front of Athanasia, then seated her back down, "But lucky for you, you need not go anywhere today. You can go back and change after breakfast."

"Eh? I thought we had a meeting at 9 today."

"I have already asked Felix to postpone the schedule."

"Lily! No! Why would you do that?!"

"Because you keep spacing out. Do you think their negotiation would get through you?"

"But—"

"No But. His Excellency gave Felix and me the authority to cancel any unnecessary meeting."

"How is the upcoming meeting even considered unnecessary?"

"I do not think providing a sponsor to another project is important. If they want the slightest fund, they will have to come and meet you. Set the bar a little higher for them when you have your father's throne, will you?"

Athanasia let herself digest the information before rubbing her temple and sighed, "Right... But Lily, How... are you so good at this?"

"Oh, Athy... I am not just a head maid in this household," Lilian said as she laughed lightly, "I had been working alongside your parents before you were even born. This is why I am in charge, not Felix." She winked and added, "And His Excellency told me to make sure you don't overwork. It's not like you are going to run this company on your own, Athy. Your father is still here to teach you and help you with your workloads."

"I took on the responsibility because I want Dad to rest," she grumbled, "Now he is still treating me as a child. I am literally a grown adult, Lily. He knows that." Athanasia said before hiding her yawn with her palm then wiped away the droplet of tear from her eye.

"Because you are still his daughter and no matter what, you are still a child to him." Lilian smiled softly and then served a cup of hot tea to Athanasia. "And are you okay?"

She stretched her back and threw her arms upright, whining and complaining at the same time.

"Oh, I'm fine, Lily. I'm just... Still sleepy..."

"Of course, you are...," Lilian muttered to herself as she hid her laughter. Clearing her throat, she asked, "So where is Lucas?"

"How... Would I know?"

"Seriously Athy? You are still pulling this card on me even though you two are officially dating?" Lilian sighed as she shook her head, "I thought I told Lucas to come down here as well."

"Wait... How... did you know...?"

"I raised you since you were a baby and I certainly know what is going on between you two."

Seeing there was no point in hiding, Athanasia timidly gave Lilian a nod, "I... didn't want to wake him up."

"How did he not know you have already left the room? Knowing him, he could hear footsteps from miles away."

"Maybe he is just tired...," she said, sipping on the hot tea, hoping it would make her more energetic so she could be ready for the day, but as for this moment, her muscles felt so sore. She added, "So I let him sleep in."

"Oh really? The guy who always bragged about his strength and stamina is still sleeping in? Why so?"

Adrenaline suddenly rushed because of the blood pumping up to her face and Athanasia coughed as she choked on the hot tea.