37: The Deepest Insecurity

Having sensed the gaze, and heard her plead, Lucas turned to face her, both of his hands on her shoulders. He squeezed them lightly, looking at her in the eyes.

"I am sure I will never be able to fall in love with anyone else but you in this timeline and many others if we are destined to see each other again."

Like some kind of a foreshadowing proposal, Athanasia's heart beat out of control at Lucas' sudden confession.

Seeing the shock on her face, Lucas raised his hand, and could no longer resist touching the glow on her cheeks.

He sighed. Then there was this distinct pause in his voice before he went on.

"But deep down, I can't help but think... You will always have... A choice. Even though I will always choose you. That thought alone, over time, has made me feel... Insecure..."

Athanasia stared at him with disbelief, mouth slightly parted. She wasn't expecting him to confess those feelings inside him.

A few seconds later, he finally seemed to realize what he had just said and he quickly avoided her eye contact in embarrassment, then went inside the car.

Lucas heard the door beside him open, but he never once looked at her.

The rustling and struggling sound of a seat belt could be heard. She was having trouble putting it on.

He squeezed the steering wheel tightly as if he was preparing himself for something. Then he moved from his seat, reaching his hand to her side, trying to pull the safety belt for her.

Only then when he realize she baited him. Because as soon as he faced her, she would smile at him and put the seat belt into the lock with ease.

As he was about to retreat, Athanasia quickly hooked her arms around his neck, locking his movement and he had no choice but to steady his arms between her seat.

"That was... Really sweet, Lucas," she said and he flinched. The harder he resisted, the tighter she held his nape.

His face turned into a slightly red color but Athanasia wasn't sure if it was because of the sunlight that gleamed at them.

"Other than the... Insecurity part," she added.

He frowned again, closing his eyes. "I'm sorry for ruining the mood."

"No, no. You didn't," Athanasia corrected him, kissing the bridge of his nose between his brows as an act of consolation. "It was... The most romantic thing I could ever hear you say."

Lucas slowly opened his eyes again. His long lashes cast a faint shadow under his eyes.

"I'm a very greedy man, you know."

At some point, Athanasia loosened her grip when Lucas who was less than an inch away from her face, moved his arm to gently stroke the corner of her lips with his thumb.

"I know," she said. His thumb moved as her lips tweaked into a smile. "I love my man greedy too. Greedy for my love. Greedy just for me."

His eyes went slightly wide and she could vividly hear his breathing growing fast above her. The proximity of his face and his burning rendered her out of capability to think.

Seeing him like this, and driven by impulse, Athanasia followed her heart and pulled him down on her waiting lips.

She gave him the key and he unlocked the door.

Lucas kissed her lips over and over, claiming her as his own. Gradually, Athanasia's breath was taken away and she put both of her hands on his chest, letting him know. For some reason, he got the message and pulled away.