41: Accusation

Jennette's POV

I caught Lucas' key in midair, with just one hand. For a moment, it was like Lucas was impressed by that, but he just went the other way, disappearing into the shop without another word.

Like, come on. At least give a better reaction, damn it.

Foul mouth, impudent, reckless, Lucas was everything Athy said he was.

Seriously, how did my cousin fall for this guy? No, more like, Athy had a strange taste for man.

Maybe it's the dynamic and chemistry between them with my cousin as the refined, self-effacing, repressed, and disciplined woman and the rough-and-tough Lucas who acted on his own impulse, went with the flow, and ignored social protocol to be open for his feelings.

Now that I thought about it, their dynamic was kind of similar to mine and Kiel's. To be expected, tensions, especially romantic and sexual tension may arise and normally lead to a delicious scenario—

Wait... I'm reading too much erotic genre or maybe it was because of Kiel's influence on me—

Anyway!

Athy came to me for... Explicit advice and I nearly choked on my tea back there because she said I looked experienced.

Was it because of my assertive energy on the outside?

I took that as a compliment but I wasn't even the captain on the ship!

When I told her that Kiel was the culprit, Athy gave me a look.

I was telling the truth! This was justice being robbed from me in a valiant broad daylight!

That's not fair... Athy was the one with the real assertive energy...

Now let me explain!

Despite having the calm, cool, and collected aura, Ezekiel Alpheus could be extremely... Engaging. All it took was a single tease or two from me and everything went south from there.

I remembered that one time when I had intervened with his work, literally grabbed his pen, threw it to the corner of the room, and put his document into the folder, earning a few glares or two from him.

He was overworking. I had to do something. I could not risk having him fallen ill too just because he had to abruptly take over Father's position.

Then... I paid the price... In a way that... Well... Um...

Let's just say he wasn't as innocent and timid as he looked. Just a wolf in a sheep's skin, perfectly blended in and Only I got the treatment when the sheep's skin came off.

Still, everyone thought I was the dominant one in our relationship.

Oh and, I called my fiancé "Kiel" when we were alone and "Ezekiel" when we were surrounded by people and at our office.

While Kiel addressed my first name at work. For example, the stern "Jennette, a moment please." Or "Jennette, review the task for me please." Even though he had already reviewed it.

Tsk.

He just didn't want me to catch a break and chat with the male colleagues. He could be a bit passive-aggressive sometimes. Though it was me provoking him in the first place.

My fiance on the other hand had no problem switching to "My Dear." As soon as we left work.

To avoid favoritism, my dad answered to me why Kiel had to use different subjects to address me. However, he was not entirely certain and told me to ask Kiel myself.