34: Curtain Calls

"It's alright. It's nothing," Lucas' voice changed in its tone, and he kept his wounded hand on the ground, perfectly still.

He added, "But I don't think I can move my hand."

Athanasia eyed her boyfriend, unsure how to react.

"Let me see, Lucas," she said, tenderly holding his wrist, attempting to roll up his sleeve.

Lucas let out a hiss, and dramatically closed his eyes, making sure everything seemed... Heart-wrenching as possible.

"If it's that bad we should get you to the clinic," she said and his eyes shot open and topped his other hand on Athanasia's that was trying to lift the fabric of his shirt.

"No! Fuck No!" he shouted. Seeing that he startled Athanasia, Lucas cleared his throat, back to his pitiful tone, "I mean... I'm fine."

"You said you cannot move your hand. How can you be fine?"

"Aha!" Lucas laughed nervously. "It's nothing but a scratch!"

"Are you really... Hurt or you are just-"

"Pretending? Of cOurSe nOT! Why would I pretend?"

Athanasia looked at him, flabbergasted. "I meant to say that you didn't want to worry me."

"Yes!"

"Or... Could it be something else?"

"Um... What... Else?" he almost stuttered.

"Lucas... Do you possibly..."

"Ye-yes? Possibly... Fine? Yes! I mean no! Um..."

"Do you have an iatrophobia?"

He blinked a few times. His mouth opened and then closed again. Finally, he said, "I swear I might bite my tongue if I pronounce that word."

"Ia-tro-pho-bia."

"What the fuck does that mean?! Ow! Don't smack my head!"

"Don't shout at me. I'm in front of you."

He rubbed his forehead. It didn't hurt that much but it became a habit to rant whenever she used violence on him.

"So?" he raised a question.

"Do doctors and medical tests scare you?"

"What? Pfffs," Lucas scoffed. "Why should I be afraid of a bunch of healers?"

"Then let's go."

"Where?"

"Clinic."

"Just to prove that I'm not don't have an italic phone?"

"Iatrophobia. But no. It's your hand."

"What about my hand?"

Athanasia heaved her brow slightly. Only when he saw her expression changed that Lucas remembered.

"I mean... Just... Can you get me some ointment?"

"What if you catch a virus?"

"Raven is vaccinated for that reason! He slashes my hands all the time with his fangs and claws! You saw it too! Not to mention, it's utterly minor-"

"Another reminder that you cannot move your hand? How is that minor?"

"But I'm hungry! And I want none of the clinic visit crap! I just wanna eat!" he sulked, tapping his belly with his healthy hand.

Athanasia coughed as she hid her amusement away within her palm. "So we go to the clinic after we eat?"

"Fuck no! Ointment for the wound! Eat for energy! Sleep for recovery! Then we fu—"