48: Tea

"What do you want to talk about?" Jennette asked once they arrived on the first floor and Ezekiel came to a pause on his walk.

"Must you always bring Athanasia up and use her against me and my past every time?" He asked quietly without looking at her.

Jennette quickly corrected her mistake.

"Oh, come on, Kiel. I said I was joking!"

"And I am not laughing, My Dear," he said, looking up slowly from the floor and meeting her gaze. "I hope you understand the limit to your humor that it may harm the ones you love too with the words that come out of your mouth."

It's rare to see Ezekiel show any expression. Whether he was angry or felt troubled, he would always keep his expression perfectly concealed; the perfect mask he had molded for himself.

But right now, he furrowed his brows at his Fiancé, clearly upset.

Then it was Jennette's turn to look at the floor, avoiding his eyes. Ezekiel edged closer and lifted her chin so she could no longer escape him.

"So, Tell me, My Dearest... What else must I do for you to know that you are the only woman that I have laid my eyes on?"

"Nothing! There is nothing else you have to do for me!" She exclaimed loudly, clearly panicking with how her voice trembled at the end. "And I won't bring Athy up again in front of you! I swear! I'm so sorry, Kiel!"

His fingers brushed the edge of her lips, gently, telling her to quiet down.

"Don't apologize," he said, tucking the strain of the hair behind her ear. "It was just me. I thought I was not doing enough."

She grabbed the hand that was tangling with her hair, her jeweled eyes quivering, almost looking like she was about to cry.

"You're MORE than enough. I'm sorry I've made you feel this insecure..."

"You shall be forgiven," came a faint voice from over her head, mixed with a small chuckle.

He brought their hands to his face, kissing the back of her hand, a form of accepting the apology.

Ezekiel brushed his thumb on the invisible mark he left with. "Perhaps just this time," he added as started walking ahead, pulling her along.

But Jennette's eyes never left their enveloped hands. Ezekiel's hand could easily bind two of her hands in one. His fingers were slender and long, neatly moisturized, unlike during his stay in Arlanta. They were callous and rough.

Ever since Ezekiel came back to Obelia, he had been holding nothing but pen and paper, signing documents instead of holding guns. Of course, they looked neat and felt soft against her skin.

Distracted by her little thought, she didn't even know he guided her to walk before him.

"We are here," he invited her back to reality.

"Oh..."

Once she was inside the room, he slowly let go of her hand and let her explore on her own while he poured a light brown color water into a cup.

"Drink this, My Dear. Just a small amount, please," Ezekiel said softly as handed her the cup.

Jennette took it to her hands. A whiff of the mist steamed up to her face with an inviting and strong earthy fragrance hit her nose.

She tilted her head as she studied the liquid. "Tea?" She asked.

"Ginseng tea. The cabin owner gave it to us," Ezekiel answered.

"If it's Ginseng, shouldn't it be darker in color but lighter with the aroma?"

"It is the opposite since this is a real one. That uncle told me that the one we had was a fraud and it was mixed with other ingredients, like food color and smell essences."