19: What's Left Of You

Taciturn, the weather was, but as the sun shone gently, its rays softly adding a bit of warmth and softness to the room. The light danced slowly up to a man who was sleeping on his stomach.

One arm rested atop his head freely. While the other kept on tracing for a certain person who should be next to him. Unable to stand the light that touched his face, his eyelids trembled before gently fluttering open.

There he saw nothing but a wrinkly spot of the empty space of the bed and the blanket was folded to the side of his legs, as if someone tossed it away.

"...Athy?"

And he tried again, and again, his morning voice called out to her. Each time it would get slightly louder and clearer, yet there was no response.

He grabbed a fistful of the blanket and groaned loudly, trying to shake off the morning fuzziness, and tried to get up.

Suddenly he felt something weigh down on him, pressing him back on the mattress and then he noticed a pair of arms wrapped around his neck loosely. Though he could feel fabric brushing against his skin.

Realizing who it was, his body relaxed, and he dropped his head back on the pillow. However, as he inhaled, he slightly brought the body above him up along with the oxygen that was about to enter his body.

"Good morning to you too."

He heard a voice, along with a smell of mint, so clear, yet left traces of coarseness.

The gentle breathing was next to his ear, he heard, a pair of arms holding onto his neck retrieved and placed on his bare shoulders instead, before giving a little squeeze.

Hiding his face, he mumbled to the pillow, "You liar... You weren't here when I woke up..."

"I am here now, no?" She asked, then kissed him gently on his cheek, making sure it was lingering.

"You said you would hold me until the morning comes..."

"I went downstairs to let Raven go potty, Lucas, and I had to wait until he finished. I can't just let him out there in the cold you know. But before that, I was with you the whole time."

"You chose a dog over me..."

"He is our responsibility!"

"I AM your responsibility."

She laughed as she pulled his soft and squishy cheek playfully. "What would happen if I were to go on a business trip and I could not bring my overgrown pup with me?"

"I would curl up and die..."

"You mean cry?"

"No. I will die if you don't come back to this side of the bed right now..."

"You are very clingy don't you know that?"

"Only when I'm with you...," he said, tapping the mattress with his palm, "Now come back to bed..."

Everything was still for a second and Lucas felt a subtle weight pressing his upper back further for just a moment before it completely disappeared along with the hand that held him. He didn't move only using the sense of his hearing to listen to the footsteps that were going around the bed.

"You could just roll over to this side, you know..."

"Unfortunately, I don't play by your rule."

Extending his arms, he grabbed the headboard. As he stretched his body the blanket fell off to his lower body, showing his bare back that was covered with old and new marks. The slashes of red were painted by none other than the woman who was making her way to the bed as she circled and watched the muscles on his arms and back ripple in glory with the way he flexed in the morning sunlight.