36: Vena Amoris

Lucas let out a low grunt as he heaved the suitcase onto the trunk of the car. A resonated fog gathered under his chin when he breathed out hot air.

As he was about to get the other one, it went beyond his grasp for another helping hand showed up unexpectedly.

While he only needed one arm strength to carry the suitcase, the petty body in front of him used two.

"I don't need help," said Lucas when the person in front of him loaded the last luggage of his and Athanasia's belongings.

"And... You're welcome," the person in front of Lucas responded with a smile as if they were used to how the guy usually spoke.

Lucas said no more after that. He went from putting his hands in his pockets to folding his arms to his chest, keeping his body warm. His left foot was tucked behind his right calf as he leaned against the snow-covered car, waiting for his girlfriend.

He watched Athanasia from where he was standing. His girlfriend was talking with the older couple. Lilian York held Athanasia's hands while Felix Robane patted the heiress on the head.

It was nice to see them put everything behind and walk forward without traces of awkwardness. Especially between Athanasia and Felix.

It had been quite some time after the Test of Courage had passed.

Athanasia took Lucas' suggestion and after building some intrepidness, she went to apologize to Felix with her head low like a guilty little cub. In contrast to her uncertainty, the older man was the one who pleaded forgiveness from her.

Long story short, they shook hands and called it a truce. Metaphorically.

Lucas on the other hand, was still waiting on the penalties. Yet he was dragged into this preparation for a short escape and a mini vocation instead.

But truthfully, he was anxious as a normal human being should be and the unsettling feelings in his gut didn't go away fully until he knew what would be on the plate for him.

After many attempts and consolation from Athanasia, he finally agreed to the terms. He was told that the decision was still pending from the higher authority so it would be better to Think less of it and take his worries elsewhere.

And there he was, waiting by the car.

Suddenly, his interest spiked. Despite keeping his eyes on Athanasia, Lucas asked the person beside him.

"Was she like that too when she went to study aboard in Arlanta? Taking her time with the farewell and stuff?"

"I'm not sure... I mean, I went there before she did. But if you put it this way, we are going away from home for a few weeks, so it's normal for everyone to be this way."

Lucas scoffed, "Well, not everyone."

"Excluding you, of course," that person added, a hint of sarcasm in their voice.

"By the way, how long had Athanasia been living in Arlanta? Five years? Ten?"

"Just about over four years. Enough to get her a degree in Business. Actually, she was going to complete another higher degree, so it would have been... Six years by then. Would have been."

He grunted, agreeing. "She talked about it with me before that her dad wanted her to stay."

"But it seemed like things didn't turn out the way she wanted, did it?"

"I'm more concerned about the... State of the company. I mean, Just four years of School plus a piece of certificate and everyone letting her rule this... Big ass company already? Is everyone out of their mind?"