📁🔎Sleepover💜🏁

Caregiver: Kokichi Ouma (pregame!)
Little: Shuichi Saihara (pregame!)
hello!! this was requested by LessBitchyThanHiyoko :D i hope you like it!! i've never written for the pregame characters before so i hope this is well-written!! i love this idea so much so thank you for requesting <3 take care everyone!
————————————————————————

Kokichi noticed that Shuichi had been acting strangely during the sleepover they were having.

First of all, when Kokichi asked if he wanted to rewatch their favorite trial of Danganronpa, Shuichi had pouted and shook his head no. He never said no to watching Danganronpa!

Or when they played a board game, Shuichi would cheer when he won, his words and speech slurred as Kokichi congratulated him.

And finally, when Shuichi found the stuffed animal Kokichi kept on a shelf near his bed, he adored it, softly mumbling, 'Can I hold it?' When Kokichi said yes, he gently picked it up, and it hadn't left his arms since.

When they had run out of things to do, they were sitting on Kokichi's bed, scrolling on their phones. An awkward silence filled the air as they did.

It didn't seem awkward for Shuichi, though. He was happily humming to himself and fidgeting with the ear of the stuffed animal as he scrolled on his phone. It was nice to see him so... carefree, in a sense? He was always anxious about bothering Kokichi, or being seen as nothing more than an obsessive Danganronpa fan.

Now, he seemed relaxed, his shaky voice and nervous smiles gone.

The two were both nervous wrecks, but maybe that's why they were such good friends. And maybe that was also why Shuichi felt safe to be vulnerable around him.

If he was being truthful, Kokichi had no idea what was going on with Shuichi. But he did know that his voice had turned higher-pitched, and he would slur his words. He'd also seemed quite fond of childish things.

Which was no problem. He can't imagine that Shuichi could do anything for him to not want to be his friend. And besides, he seems happy right now.

Even then, Kokichi wants an explanation.

So, he does the only thing he knows to do— turn to Google.

He opens the search bar up and types in, "Why is my friend acting like a child?"

A bit vague, but he was worried he wouldn't get any results if he specified.

The first thing that popped up was something called... Age regression. According to the article, it appeared to be a defense/coping mechanism where someone reverts back to the mindset of a child, usually to cope with everyday stress, or sometimes just to feel safeness and positivity that childhood provided.

Kokichi closed the tab out and glanced over to Shuichi, who was still holding the stuffed animal from before. Was he age regressed?

He didn't feel right just asking him that, though, especially if he was wrong. He didn't want to take any chances. So, he supposed it couldn't hurt to be subtle about it...

"Hey, Shuichi?" Kokichi started, and Shuichi looked up from what he was doing, "Would you maybe want to draw with me? I have some crayons and colored pencils. But only if you want to."

Shuichi tilted his head.

"Color?" He asked softly, though definitely not opposed.

Kokichi smiled.

"Yeah! Color," He told him with a chuckle, "I'll get everything. One second."

And so before they knew it, the two were laying on the floor, blank papers out in front of them and coloring pictures.

Kokichi wasn't too sure of what to draw, at first. He didn't think he was too much of an artist, anyways. But when he snuck a look at Shuichi's drawing, he noticed that what he was coloring looked an awful lot like a blue-haired detective. Maybe he could draw his own 'persona'.

Kokichi got to work— using purple colored pencils to draw out his hair as well as crayons for the checkers all over his uniform.

They were both pretty focused, and it wasn't long before they finished their drawings.

"Look, Kichi!" Shuichi held up his drawing proudly, "'S me!"

Kokichi felt his heart swell at the nickname, and he figured it would only be fair if he gave one back.

"That's really good, Shu!" He said, genuine pride seeping through as he smiled, "I like your hat."

Shuichi giggled.

"Like your checkers," He said, "'S cool."

Kokichi was about to say something in response when he noticed Shuichi yawn, rubbing his eyes. When he glanced at the clock, he noticed it was almost midnight.

"Are you sleepy?" Kokichi asked, and was almost worried for a second. If Shuichi was in the mindset of a kid, was he going to throw a fit over going to bed? Kokichi did not know how to deal with that...

Luckily, Shuichi nodded, looking up at Kokichi with his eyes wavering shut occasionally.

"Alright," Kokichi began, "Then let's get to bed."

They put the crayons and the colored pencils away, cleaning everything up and putting their drawings on the bedside table for safety. But soon, they got into bed, the blankets pulled up onto their shoulders.

All the while, Kokichi was anxiously chewing on his lower lip. Was Shuichi just going to go to sleep? Or should he offer him a bedtime story? Would he want a drink, either? Kokichi doesn't think he has any bottles...

He wants to be supportive. But then again, he doesn't really know how yet, and he's not even sure if Shuichi is a regressor (despite the signs that have obviously pointed towards him being one). But nonetheless, he's going to try.

Kokichi didn't feel like he should just leave him to fall asleep, so he took a deep breath and began to speak.

If he was wrong about Shuichi being a regressor, he sincerely hoped he would be able to play this off as a joke.

"Hey, Shu?" He whispered to him, "Do you... want a bedtime story?"

Shuichi froze, and when they met eyes, the horror in his gaze was enough to confirm it all.

"What?" He whimpered, "Know?"

"I sort of have an idea," Kokichi said gently, "But I'm not going to judge you at all. You're... you're my best friend no matter what, okay? I'll always be here if you need anything."

Shuichi exhaled.

"'K-Kay," He said quietly, "'M sorry got small at the sleepover."

"Don't be, love," Kokichi murmured, the pet name slipping out almost as if it was a normal, everyday thing, "I don't mind. Not at all."

And so, they spent the rest of the night pressed up close against each other, Kokichi reading him a small book that he found off of his shelf.

Kokichi's not entirely sure how the whole regression works just yet.

But he wants to learn, and wants to try.

If he can do anything to make things easier for Shuichi, he'll do it.

Even if all he needs to do is be there.