Episode 40: Enter the Dragonite

Last time, Mew and her friends arrived at Pummelo Stadium so Mew could challenge the reigning Orange League Champion and battle for the coveted winner's trophy. Though Drake, the undefeated Orange League trainer proved to be a powerful opponent Mew managed to win the first two battles in the 6-on-6 match, but when Gengar launched a Night Shade attack and Lapras quickly countered with an Ice Beam, the results were explosive! Now the anxious spectators are waiting to discover which Pokémon has triumphed!

The stadium waits anxiously to see which Pokemon survive the blast.

The announcer says, "The smoke still hasn't cleared from those two tremendous attacks, but in a moment, we'll see who the winner is!"

Soon, the smoke clears to reveal that both Lapras and Gengar are knocked out.

Seeing the result, the Referee says, "Lapras, Gengar, both are unable to battle!"

The announcer also says, "What a shocker! Both Pokémon are out of this competition!"

Mew calls back Lapras, "Lapras, return!"

Lapras returns to the Pokeball.

Mew looks at Lapras' Pokeball, "Lapras, you did great."

Drake calls back Gengar, "Gengar, return."

Gengar returns to the Pokeball.

"Good work. You've earned a good rest," Drake says.

Then the announcer says, "Well, Mew may not have won that round, but this is the first time a challenger has knocked out three of the champion's Pokémon in a row!"

"There will be a timeout for the field change!" The referee adds.

Then the announcer says, "In the winner's trophy competition, whenever three of either trainer's Pokémon are defeated, the field is changed. Now, both these trainers will have to adapt and come up with brand new battle strategies."

Mew sits down on the bench in her corner with Misty and the others. Mew is also tired from the battle. Eevee gives Mew a water bottle. Mew takes it and pats Eeevee on her head.

Meanwhile, Drake eyes his necklace and the Pokéball on the end of it.

"You're the only strategy I need to win," Drake says, and looks at the Dragonite statue.

As Mew, Pikachu, and Eevee stretch their legs, Team Rocket is watching them in the bleachers.

Seeing them, James says, "The twerp's doing pretty well for himself."

"She's not so great," Jessie says

"Well, if she's not so great, then how come we never manage to beat her?" James questions.

Jessie loses her patience, "I've had enough of you two! You insult us while Meowth's giving himself a manicure!"

Meowth laughs and says, "For James, it'd be a manicure, but for me, it's a Meowth-icure."

"Well, great or not, that kid will never beat Dragonite," James says, and lets out a chuckle.

"Luckily, we don't need her to beat Dragonite, we just need her to battle it for a while and tire it out for us," Meowth says, still giving himself a manicure.

"Yeah, and then, while its defenses are down, we can capture it, and bring it back to the boss!" James says.

"And that'll make us the real winners," Meowth says.

Team Rocket chuckles in reply.

Sometime later, Mew's Orange League Championship battle against Drake continues as the battleground changes for the next set of battles.