☾ celeste's unscripted meta: Izuku Midoriya ☾

NOTE: this analysis is based on my own perceptions, research and opinions. These were just all the notes I took down to write this book. You are free to disagree and encouraged to share your own thoughts and opinions <3

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

IZUKU MIDORIYA (FOREWORD)

Izuku was the most difficult character to write (even though he is the main love interest). Someone like Bakugou, Todoroki, or even Uraraka were so much easier to write because Kohei Horikoshi intended for them to have backstories that were well-rounded but not as complicated as Izuku's. Besides, Izuku is the main character; he's supposed to be really complicated and is central to the entire MHA series, so there's A LOT to uncover.

INSPIRATION

Even though the idea to write a OC x Izuku Midoriya fanfiction was initially requested by @kkillluaaa and @Ryliezs (thank you btw <333), I knew I wanted to write about him at some point. I hated the whole "Izuku is such a softie", "protect Izuku", "Izuku is a cinnamon roll" perspective some people created around such a complex character. Sure, he's a lot more soft-hearted and a bit 'weaker' than most shounen protagonists, but he's so much more, yk?

So, I made sure to do HEAPS of research: this included reading a lot of tumblr metas on character analysis. I can't put links on Wattpad chapters, so please feel free to private message me if you'd like the tumblr links <3

On a personal level, I wanted to write about Izuku because he was a character that helped me write about issues I used to face and currently face; having low self-esteem, the need to feel useful, and feeling unconfident about what I'm passionate about. Izuku, even though he is reckless and sometimes a bit narrow-minded, was admirable to me growing up because he is courageous, hard working and determined despite his somewhat gentle demeanour, anxious tendencies and emotional personality. It was the first protagonist I really connected with when I first got into anime and this book is like a little homage to that part of my life. 

A BRIEF ANALYSIS ON IZUKU

I don't reject the idea that Izuku is a determined, hard-working and kind-hearted protagonist – these are traits that are consistently evident despite how much character development Izuku has gone through thus far. But, I wanted to go beyond that and look at his flaws, the things that make him an unlikeable character. Hence, I sought out many opinions on him and even found some of the readers liking Bakugou over Izuku throughout 'Love Like You'. 

Izuku Midoriya is reckless and obsessed with being useful because heroism was all he looked to as inspiration growing up. Being told by a medical professional that he was deemed hopeless (what kind of doctor tells you that there is "no hope" for a patient when they have some sort of disability/don't function as the vast majority??), and also his mother feeling sorry for him for not having a quirk rather than encouraging him?? Add the Bakugou bullying on top of that and no wonder why Izuku is obsessed with being useful when all he's been told his entire life is that he's hopeless, someone to pity, and useless for not having a quirk. 

It's safe to say that a part of his dream to be a hero could be to be considered useful and to be accepted by his mother, All Might, his peers and society in general. I'm not saying he's not a person who genuinely cares for others, but as someone who'd been essentially discriminated against for being quirkless, he knows better than anyone how it feels to feel hopeless and in need.