Ch.11 Truth or Dare

The Fabricated Kingdom
!Link Hateno Village

Tonight has been the most insufferable night of my existence.

I should start by saying that all of this is my fault and only mine. I told Y/N we would stay at my house. After hearing her panicked reaction to having one bed, I naturally let her have it. I slept on the floor of my living room.

Or I intended to sleep. The thought of Y/N asleep beneath the same roof as me corrupted my thoughts.

I found myself outside, cooling off the indecent fantasies in my mind with some late-night training. The blood moon taunted me with every swing of my sword. There was a secret above me in the sky, and a secret above me in my home, sound asleep.

As I settled down from training, I lit a fire. I had hoped its radiant warmth and soothing crackling could lull me to sleep.

Until Y/N found me outside.

It was over a friendly game of truth and dare that she asked me a frightening question.

Although I must admit that I found it more frightening that she never once chose "dare."

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Purah removed her wide-rimmed eyeglasses. She began to polish the lens with a small cut of cloth that sat amongst her Shiekah Slate on the table. "Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Majora's Mask, an article believed to be possessed by a diabolical entity, was locked away in the cellar of the castle, and the queen discovered it was missing during the power outage at the coronation ball. And you think whoever stole the mask is manipulating the moon with it?"

"Not in so many words." Link defended. "It can't merely be a coincidence that the blood moon has risen three nights in a row and this peculiarity has begun the same night the mask went missing."

You sat in silence, observing Purah and Link's back-and-forth banter. Sure enough, Purah challenged Link with another viewpoint. "Are we even certain the mask went missing that specific night? How often does Queen Zelda go down to the castle catacombs? Not often, I'll bet. And who can blame her? Who would want to see their father's gravestone, a constant reminder of the man she couldn't save."

An uncomfortable silence fell over the table. Link flinched, clearly scathed by Purah's statement. As if her words were a hot burner, she forced Link to hold his hands over. "I couldn't save them." He countered bitterly.

The intense hurt that radiated from him made you shift in your seat. Who were 'them'? The champions? You weren't sure if Link was displaying a deepened anguish over the loss of lives during the Calamity or if he was trying to absolve the Queen from her responsibility of awakening her powers.

The rumor throughout Hyrule was that her highness's powers, invested in her by Hylia to seal Ganon, were awakened when Link almost died.

She really does love him. You felt guilt nibbling away at your inner feelings. But a crush was harmless, wasn't it? Did you even have a crush? Or was it just your Hero of Time infatuation?

Yes, it had to be that. Nothing more.

Besides, how awful of a person would I be if the queen assigned me to recover Majora's Mask and I'm over here crushing on her knight.

"Wait," you chimed in, "What about the missing pages from the books in the library?"

Purah turned to you, clearly bewildered. "What books, Y/N?"