Ch. 18 A Question of Loyalty

Return to the Castle

!Link                                Gerudo Town

I'm starting to think that the Blood Moon is the cause of my losing my mind.

Clearly, there can be no other explanation. What was I thinking? Y/N is right; my actions were a result of my own cowardice. And that cowardice is a result of my own lies.

Sure, I panicked. Should Riju see me with Y/N, it will get back to Zelda that I took Y/N along for this mission. Zelda, whom I have yet to answer about my feelings. And Y/N, to whom I have yet to confess my feelings. What she said was nothing short of the truth.

I was right to walk a path of silence.

But am I so wrong to want a choice in who has my heart? Am I wrong to wish that I could choose my own path? Or does the guilt of Zelda not being able to choose hers outweigh my own choice?

Sometimes the bitterness that destiny has brought out in me is of such grandeur that I don't think the Blood Moon crashing into earth could eradicate it from within me.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

You saw the shadow of Link's feet beneath your door frame. He had paid for lodging in Hotel Oasis, or what was Gerudo Town's local inn. It was after you checked in that you found out he had only paid for one room.

Link would be returning to the castle at the edict of the queen.

You didn't think about the veiled kiss. The thought of it made a volcanic eruption of acid shoot from your stomach into your throat. How could you think about it when it was an "accident"? Shortly after you saw the Blood Moon's formidable shadow looming closer to earth, you and Link made a civil pact to focus on your mission.

Which is what you were focusing on before he went and did the "thing" you now decided you refused to name. Seriously, here you were trying to focus, and Link was either topless jumping into ponds or twirling around kissing you.

Let's not even mention his mood swings.

The one advantage to traveling with him was that you got to know his modus operandi. Now as you sat on your bed, watching the stillness of his shadow beneath your door, you knew what you had to do next.

"I know you're out there, Link." You let out a crotchety whine.

"I can't converse with you through the door."

You could kiss me through the veil just fine. You let out a huff of vexation as you shuffled to the door. You opened it up at a not-so-generous sliver, allowing him to stand with you, pupil to pupil.

"I just wanted to say I'm going to be off now." The longer you stood eye to eye, the larger his pupil seemed to dilate.

You thought about a study you read that spoke of the way pupils dilate when they view someone as attractive. You wanted to laugh at yourself for scraping the bottom of the barrel. You wanted to find any inkling of evidence that he felt the same things you felt.