Ch.19 Rebel Soldier

Making the Choice

!Link Gerudo Town

I am in deep trouble.

I didn't return to the Castle.

I couldn't bring myself to leave Y/N.

Not with what I did nor with the bizarre behavior she displayed when I left.

If this moon does destroy us and we all die, then the last thought she would have had is that I abandoned her for the sake of perceived fealty.

And the last thought I would have had would have been that I was a coward. A dastardly knight who didn't follow his heart.

I do know that Zelda is safe. She has the royal astronomy guild studying the distance between us and the moon. It did not budge last night. So, it seems, the moon is slowly but surely approaching. If I recall the fable of Termina, it was set to hit rather quickly.

In three days.

This is not playing out like in the Hero of Time's timeline.

Which causes me to wonder how true it all is.

Or perhaps I want to doubt him out of spite.

I never thought it possible to be so jealous of myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

You wove another section of your hair into the half-finished braid at the middle of your head. The many rumors of the Gerudo desert's scathing heat did little to prepare you for how blazing hot it was in person. It was no wonder many of the women sported high ponytails to keep their hair off their necks. You hoped the tightness of the interlaced braid you created would help you cool down. You were beginning to feel small puddles pool beneath your armpits in the fabric of your tunic.

Link had left last night, and so here you were, alone in Gerudo Town. You weren't sure what you wanted to see first or where you should even start. But a heat-resistant outfit was inevitably on the horizon. You mozied out of Hotel Oasis, hoping to entertain yourself with the exuberant surroundings of Gerudo Town.

But it didn't seem to keep your mind from wandering to tonight and the possibility of another visitation from your nocturnal admirer. Would the Hero of Time come to you again? More importantly, why was he coming to you? And what were the odd visions you had seen? Wasn't the Hero of Time and Link the same soul? Or were they two separate entities who just happened to share the same hefty title? Why not just go talk to him?

There had to be more to it.

There was something more tying him to you.

Not that you minded closing your eyes and being visited by his striking face. In conjunction with his name, the Hero of Time also possessed a timeless appearance. Maybe he should be called the Heartthrob of Time. You couldn't help but have an inward chuckle at your own wittiness. It didn't matter how outdated his clothes were or the vague way in which he spoke; that man had the capability to slay hearts the same way he could slay monsters.

It had become almost funny to you. You carried a torch for the Hero of Time for the longest while, but now, somewhere in the crux of your feelings, you felt like you were cheating on Link. Even if he belonged to the Queen.

You felt as though there was some unspoken knowledge that you belonged to him.

The Hero of Time was, in essence, the ideal gentleman. But as time progressed with your Link, you discovered the Hero of Time lacked what you secretly craved.