Before Dawn - XV

Perrie's now left alone on the rooftop of Disora.

There were days that she wished she was never left alone. Where her mind is a dangerous place to be, she's used to being alone, but this kind of loneliness was something else. It's as though if she walked further, she'd fall off the edge, with no way of knowing if she'll ever survive.

"Follow my tracks and come and find me..."

Jade's last words kept on repeating inside her mind. It somewhat became a song, a lullaby, as twisted as that may sound. It's a sorrowful melody, soft and low, seeping through Perrie's bones, breaking her heart all over again.

There was hope before. One look at Jade's eyes. A tiny flicker against the wind, but then the storm was too strong, ranging carelessly, crushing whatever hope was left.

Perrie's staring into the horizon. Shoulders feeling heavier and heavier with each passing day without Jade.

"Tell me what to do, Jade?" She whispers to the wind, closing her eyes, feeling the teardrops rolling lazily down her cheek.

She has bled an ocean through her eyes. Her soul felt wafer thin. Her body trembled and chilled. Yet even this magnitude of grief passes. Her heart isn't merely broken, it is a shadow of what it was and fading a little more every day.

Perrie didn't care who heard or saw her crying. All she knew was that the world was now meaningless without the love of her life. She was angry at the universe for presenting Jade into her life, only for her to be taken away. How is any of that fair?

She wasn't a bad person who kidnapped or killed people, but why do terrible things keep happening to her? She had lost so much already. First, her mom. Next was Caitlyn. And now...Jade.

Her heart is beating rapidly from the rage mixed with the grief she's feeling inside. At that moment, that flash of anger protected her from the pain. And then, she screamed. It was the kind of scream that bypasses the ears to speak right to the heart.

Suddenly, everything went dark. Perrie frantically looks around her. She was still on the rooftop. But the skies were no longer blue. No birds were flying up and about. Not a single car beneath the street. Not a person going about their day. New York looked like a ghost town.

Then, she starts feeling a tingling sensation within her. It flows through her veins, a warmth like no other. It feels like low-voltage electricity that's manageable like this thing is communicating with her.

Perrie closes her eyes and tries to calm her nerves so she can concentrate. She takes in a deep breath. Focus all her energy on one constant thing – Jade.

Inhale...

Exhale...

When she eventually calmed down, she slowly opened her eyes, and the world around her seemed...different. Deep colors of red, violet, green, and blue were passing through the skies, faster and faster, like the speed of light. It wasn't making her dizzy. If anything, it fascinated her.

Perrie outstretches her hand to feel the array of colors passing through the wind.

Not far from where she stood, she could see moving images being played from a movie theater. Little by little, those moving images grew closer and closer to her. And it turns out it wasn't just moving images. She narrowed her eyes at them, and it became clear. They were Perrie's past memories.