Amongst The Fishes

"Parvati!!!"

A deep voice full of rage woke Parvati from Her trance. She blinked Her eyes continuously to regain consciousness.

She felt disoriented after Her unexpected slumber. It was such a beautiful mesmerising sleep amidst the cool breeze of the cave. And She even dreamt vividly. She imagined Herself as a fish amongst the others in the Mansarovar Lake.

Suddenly, She looked everywhere around and realised that She had dozed off while listening to Shiva's stories and sermons. When reality struck Her finally, She faced Her husband seated in front of Her, raging with temper and fuming in anger.

She awakened in full senses and awareness doomed over Her. She had committed a great folly. She had promised to be awake and concentrate but She fell asleep without any intent or purpose. She was listening to His tales with full concentration when She was last awake. And the tales seemed to be unending and could go on till eternity.

"Parvati! How can you be so irresponsible! Even these birds are better than you. They somehow sneaked in and heard all these stories and were awake throughout. Hence this gift of wisdom and Immortality will be bestowed upon them for they fully deserve it. You failed to listen to them and you lost this opportunity."

Parvati fell at His feet and asked for forgiveness. "Swami, I didn't realise when I fell asleep. I had no intent to do so. Please believe me! I was trying my best to concentrate."

Shiva's fury knew no bounds. He got up immediately from His seat and made His way to leave. "You talk about concentration but you lack the discipline. If You want to learn about concentration, You should live amongst fishermen. Their minds know the best about concentrating on their target and they never miss a mark."

Parvati tried to stop Him from leaving Her behind. She stood in His way and begged at His feet. But He seemed unmoved.

"Go and live with the fishes! And learn discipline and concentration from them. After all, all You think about is fishes all day."

She couldn't believe what Her ears just heard. And She couldn't decipher how someone who spoke words of love to Her a while ago and brought Her here to spend moments together could say something so cruel.

But as much as Shiva was renowned for His innocence, He was known for His anger. And once He said something, He meant it. Neither His promises nor His words never went to waste.

Parvati tried to accept the circumstances and consoled Herself by saying that there must be some good in this and this must have a great purpose and lesson.

She took His blessings and disappeared. Everything fell silent and cold again. Nothing existed or mattered anymore.

As harsh it may have looked, deep inside Shiva felt pain, again. Everytime He felt an unbearable and insufferable loss. And although He was assured that like every time they will be united again, still He felt empty deep inside.

Because He was the one who inflicted Her pain. He never wanted to curse Her or send Her away. She was too innocent, too naive and young for the ways of the world. It was His duty to protect Her from everyone and everything threatening Her innocence and purity.

But this had to happen. And even though He was the Supreme Lord, He could not change the turn of events. This was His original plan, even though it meant putting His Love and Himself through great distress.

A couple who were devotees of the Supreme Goddess prayed to Her everyday hoping to get a daughter like Her. And although Parvati wasn't fully aware of Her powers, it was His duty to make sure that their prayers don't go unheard. Shiva and Shakti are One, and they perform their duties interchangeably, just like they look after their devotees whenever they need them.