The Mid Wife's Fury

"How beautiful babies are!"

She exclaimed with joy. Her eyes grew ecstatic and She started to daydream.

Parvati and Shiva were on a trip in disguise. They travelled to Madurai in the south, the land revered for customs and staunch faith. Many of the temples were dedicated to Parvati, especially Her fierce forms.

Shiva brought Her along so that She felt lighter and happier seeing Her devotees. She would engage in their activities and find relief from Her previous fears. She was still guilty of judging and doubting Shiva, and Shiva understood Her pain, although She couldn't voice it.

Luminous lamps lit up the entire city. The streets were swamped with devotees who waited in the queue outside the temple.

A couple with a newborn baby was standing for a very long time. They wanted to receive the blessings of the Goddess. Parvati saw their troubled faces and moved forward to take the baby in Her arms and bless him.

"What a beautiful child! May he always be prosperous and healthy!"

The parents smiled and thanked Her. They continued to wait in line, not knowing that the Goddess Herself had blessed their child.

"Amma! You don't know about the atrocities we face here. The King torments his own subjects. Vallarajan is evil born on this earth. And we are unlucky to be his subjects. The Pandya kingdom will face doom under his rule."

Parvati was surprised to hear that. She thought that this region was always prosperous and flourished under the King's care.

*Swami, did You know about all this? Is that why You came here? These people need Us. We must do something about this."

A shriek interrupted Her. It came from the market place behind Them. A woman was being beaten by the King's guards.

"Stop it! Why are you beating her? She's so frail and weak as it is." Parvati intervened and stood in between the woman and the guards.

The guard lifted the stick and aimed it at Her, but Shiva stopped it mid way. "Enough! There shall be an end to these atrocities the day the King's child sets his foot on this Earth."

The guard huffed and withdrew. "Your words are of no use if You can't pay the taxes. Give us the harvest  and say all You may."

Parvati narrowed Her hazel eyes and spoke with a strong demeanour. "You heard the prophecy from Him? You better leave now. Come Swami, let's continue Our trip and move somewhere else from this horrid place."

Shiva looked at Her with stern eyes. "Parvati, more important events will need Your intervention. You must stay here for some time. Your duty shall call You. Maybe it might be a sign for Your heart's desire."

Her jaw dropped and She lost Her grip on His hand. 'Did He know all this while? Truly, nothing is hidden from Him.'

She silently nodded and turned Her soft eyes towards the temple. She would wait here for Him until Her duty was fulfilled and They could unite again. She hardly got a few minutes of joy with Him after what had happened before, and now again She had to oblige to the circumstances.

She closed Her eyes and moved towards the temple to take Her place. Shiva's hand loosened and He let Her palm slip.

At the temple steps, She turned to have one last look at Him. "I shall wait here for You."

He smiled back and disappeared into the mist.

_____________________________________________