Aadidev Nageshwara

"Hurry up You all!  I need some turmeric and sandalwood. Nandi, can You please arrange for the same as soon as You can?"

Nandi's eyes lit up at the mention of His name. He never failed to seize any opportunity to serve His Mother. He ran at the first instance to gather the requirements.

Sadly, neither of the items were available at Kailash. He had to go further down the foothills towards the residence of the civilizations.

His eyes scanned every possible place and forest to look for sandalwood. He had never seen a sandalwood forest so He had no idea. Parvati had only shown Him a small piece She had with Herself as reference.

He took the shape of a bull and wandered through the city roads. Suddenly, His eyes fell on a huge pyre of sandalwood near a Shiva temple. And luckily, even turmeric was kept in a big pot next to it. He was happy to find both the items at one place and thanked His Lord for His mercy.

He picked up a few pieces of the wood and placed the pot of turmeric on His back. He was about to return on His way, when He was stopped by a shrill voice.

"Stop! Where do You think You are going? You stole the sandalwood we had kept for the Yagya." She shrieked and called out names to gather a crowd.

Nandi looked around and saw that He was surrounded by a mob of people who were ready to beat Him with sticks.

He transformed into His form of a man to speak to them and give an explanation.

"I need these as My Mother has asked for them. Please grant me some so that I can go back and fulfil My responsibility."

A brawny man with drooping eyes came forward with his stick. "You have a mother? And she didn't teach you manners about not stealing anything, especially when it belongs to a God's worship."

Nandi tried His best to convince them. "But no Yagya is complete without invoking the blessings of Lord Mahadeva. He is Aadidev, the only and original Supreme Truth. And My Mother is His Wife. They'll surely bless You if You help Us."

A man who was dressed in fine clothes spoke up. Nandi could guess from his appearance that he must have been the head priest.

"You cannot take away anything from here. These are for Our Lord."

All this became unbearable for Nandi. They had seriously crossed all limits. He clenched His fists and spoke with a befitting rage.

"All of you call yourselves as devotees of the Lord yet don't realise the Supreme Truth. Such a hoax is a waste of wisdom. I curse you Brahmins to wander around searching for alms. Even though you'll have knowledge, you'll never have wealth."

He came back empty handed to Kailash. When Parvati saw Him teary eyed, He narrated the whole tale.

"Oh Nandi, I am so sorry You had to go through all this. Don't worry, I will arrange for something. I will send Jaya and Vijaya to bring the items."

Nandi looked up with confusion. "Mother? Jaya and Vijaya?"

She cupped His cheeks like a child and embraced Him. She patted His head as She spoke. "Yes Nandi, They shall be My female companions and will accompany Me in My chambers, just like You accompany Your Lord everywhere and help Him in His duty."

Nandi was happy to hear that the inhabitants of Kailash were willing to help Her. "But Mother, why do You need sandalwood and turmeric?"

Kana, one of the Ganas, interrupted, "Maybe Mother will make a new food dish from them. Oh so exciting! It must be so delicious!"

Parvati laughed at His assumption. Kana, and His best friend Preta, always tried Their best to make Her feel comfortable and entertain Her. She loved Their company and cared for Them like Her own children. She would cook the world's most delicious food for Them. And amidst Them, She never missed the warmth of Her paternal home.