The Moon Is Revived

Daksha considered Shiva as His arch enemies since time immemorial. Shiva had severed His Father, Lord Brahma's fifth head when ego intoxicated Him. He considered Himself superior because He was the creator of the world.

He created Shatarupa, and sought after His own daughter due to lust and ignorance. He followed Her in all the directions. And when She escaped towards the sky, He sprouted another head above His four heads to chase Her.

Shiva, the Destroyer of Arrogance, cut off His fifth head which faced the sky. He went to Kashi to dissolve His actions and let go of the karma of Brahmahatya. He carried the head like a begging bowl and wandered around the world like a mendicant.

Daksha accused Him of hurting a Brahmin and hated Him. But the innocent Shiva was least bothered about greed, respect, disrepute or any labels. He was Nirguna, and the epitome of detachment.

Pure detachment stems from letting go of all labels and tags. All labels and adjectives arise only because of the ego of the self. When ego dissolves, our false image and perceptions are destroyed and we are enlightened.

There was one a ceremony where all the Gods and Goddesses, Kings and Queens were invited. When Daksha entered, everyone bowed Their heads in reverence. But Shiva didn't even get up from His seat.

Shiva was naive and unaware of the ways of the world. He didn't know that He was supposed to get up to pay His respect. He only attended the ceremony because He was invited and He had to do His duty of providing His blessings.

Daksha felt disrespected at the ceremony, only because Shiva didn't acknowledge His presence. This insult infuriated Daksha even more and He vowed to organise a yagya one day and invite everyone except Shiva just to insult Him.

And meanwhile, He got to know that Sati, His most favourite daughter, had become an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva.

He had bottled up all this rage inside for years. And just a small peck was enough to burst His anger.

And this rage found it's venting through His other son-in-law, the Mood God, Lord Chandra.

When Rohini complained about His bias towards His other wives and not giving Her enough attention, Daksha cursed the Moon to lose His grandeur and lustre.

And soon, the night lost it's brilliance. There was no light during the darkness and the world suffered.

Gone was the moonlight and the Moon.

_____________________________________________

The Moon God laid restless on the floor.

He was withering and slowly losing every last breath left in His life. Not only had He turned pale, He felt broken from His soul.

The Gods adviced Him to worship Lord Shiva, the Divine Healer, who had a solution to every problem. He could heal any illness and even bring the dead to life. And He needed His blessing to cure this lifeless feeling.

What is the Moon without its lustre and light?

Who would show travellers the way at night when they paved dangerous roads?

Who would look after His wives in His absence?

The Moon was also needed to maintain balance in the world. The world couldn't perish because of a curse.

Lord Shiva heard His pleas and happily agreed to help. He had fallen to His feet, tired from the long journey to Kailash. He was already so pale and weak, and the tough terrain had tested every bit of His strength.

"Lord Maheshwar, please find a cure for My problem. The saints say that I cannot be restored. But I am convinced that only You can help Me. You're My last hope. Please save me."

Lord Shiva accepted His prayers. He gently placed the Moon over His head. The moment it touched Shiva, it was miraculously cured of its ailment.

It was lustrous again as if nothing had happened. Shiva's gentle touch and presence had cured Him. His aura was so divine that it could heal anyone.

His innocence always sparkled in His eyes, and His kindness overflowed from His smile.

Lord Chandra bowed in reverence and expressed His gratitude. He had no words left to thank Him. Tears flowed down His cheeks. He looked at His wives and realised His mistake.

He immediately went to Rohini and apologized. Everything was normal again.

As Digambar, Shiva wore the sky as His garment. And now as Chandrashekhar, He adorned the Moon over His head. This was His shringar, unique to Himself.

The Moon happily graced Shiva's head. He also promised to forever be His adornment and His crown.

Thus, the world named Shiva as Chandrashekhar, Chandrachud, or the One who adorned the Moon over His head.

He was Lord Somnath, Someshwar, or the Lord of the Moon, who restored His life and lustre.

He was Shiva, the auspicious one. So auspicious and pure that even His proximity cleansed people of their karma.

He was Shambhu, the ocean of kindness.

।। ॐ नमः पार्वती पतिये हर हर महादेव ।।

।। ॐ नमः शिवाय ।।