Batukeshwara Counsels Darukaa

She was watching the Moon, pale yet glistening in its simplicity.

Even in the shadows of the mystic night, She imagined Shiva's face on the Moon. She lifted Her hand to look through the sieve and mirror She was holding.

She gazed at His reflection in the shining lustre of the moonlight. 'Oh how I wish He was here. But I understand He must be busy with other worldly duties. I should not complain, He already does so much for Me.'

With a sign, She lowered Her hand and closed Her eyes. She said a small prayer and turned to return from Lake Mansarovar. But She was not going to break Her fast until Shiva came in person to Her. She would wait, even if it would take the whole night.

She walked along the banks of the lake. Looking at Her own image in this still crystal clear waters, She was contemplating deeply engrossed in Her thoughts.

She dipped Her fingers in the cool waters. Her reflection wavered for a while. And just when the waters became calm again, She saw not Hers but Shiva's image. He was always with Her, like Her own shadow.

Her mind was weaving relentless conflicts. Something seemed to bother Her. Or maybe it was just Her impulsive intuition. But She was still optimistic about the outcomes and She knew that no matter what, Shiva would always be there to support Her and it would be alright.

"Maybe if We had a child, He would spend more time at home with Us. How wonderful it would be to have a child. I would cook His favourite food for Him and feed Him with My own hands. Then I would bathe Him and wipe Him with My own veil. I would dress Him in the finest clothes and ornaments. I would decorate His forehead with tilak and sandalwood paste. I would take care of Him, and cater to His every need. And the Lord Himself would counsel and support Him as an ideal father. He would be so happy to have a child of His own, who is a replica of His own values. Every night We shall take a stroll to Lake Mansarovar and have our sweet little family time. We would be His guardians. What a wonderful family we will be!"

"So be it!" She looked around startled at the voice. She didn't realise She was speaking out Her thoughts loudly.

The Moon God was listening to Her prayers. And He granted His blessings to Parvati for Her sincere devotion on the occasion of Karva Chauth.

A shooting star lit up across the sky. Parvati knew Her wish would be fulfilled, although She didn't know how and when. But She was excited and happy at the prospect. She went home happily and merrily, waiting to tell Shiva about all the happenings at  Lake Mansarovar on that auspicious night.

Meanwhile, Shiva had gone to visit His devotee Darukaa. She had undergone rigorous penance to please the Lord and His Wife. They asked for a boon in return for their devotion, and Shiva granted them a huge forest as their shelter and home, which came to be called the Darukavan.

However, they had taken things for granted and were harassing everyone around. All humans, sages, and creatures were tormented by their evil deeds. Daruka was widely influenced by her husband, Daruk, who had malevolent and cruel intentions. He used this forest for his wicked actions, entrapping and harassing mortal beings.

Shiva visited them to counsel and warn them regarding their misdeeds. He warned them that any further unrighteous decree would lead to their destruction and they would meet their end.

But He was unsure if they would actually consider His advice. Yet, it was His duty to look after them and show them the right path, being their Lord. And He had kept Parvati waiting for this task.

He remembered about Her and swiftly made His way to Lake Mansarovar. But Parvati was long gone. He saw the flowers and lamps lit up across the sides of the Lake, and realised that He was late.