Sati's Swayamvar

Insecurity and unsurety engulfed Her mind. Her heart was beating so fast that it almost felt like it was exploding in Her chest.

She couldn't fall asleep. Tomorrow will be the greatest and most important day of Her life.

All these years of worship and loving Him in silence had to come to a conclusion. She wanted Him to accept Her. She wanted to belong to Him and to be only His.

She had always been devoted to Him since She was a child and had only thought about Him. She would wake up only to worship Him, and She would go to sleep only dreaming about Him.

Maharishi Dadhichi had come one day to the palace and prophesied that She was destined to be Kailash Swamini. He was the one who introduced Her to Shiva and told everything about Him to Her.

Despite Daksha's hatred and resentment, She took lessons from the great Maharishi in secret.

She had a small temple dedicated to Him built in Her private chambers. She often had dreams about Them dancing together amidst the rhythm of the Dumroo beats.

But now was the time for these prophecies to manifest and dreams to come true.

A thousand guests had been invited to Her Swayamvar. She had a lot of options to choose from.

However, She had already chosen Him and decided upon Him.

And She had secretly sent an invitation to Kailash through Maharishi Dadhichi.

There was still a small problem.

She wasn't sure if He would be there or not.

_____________________________________________

She was late for Her own Swayamvar. Her mind was so foggy and unclear that She couldn't decide what to wear and how to dress up.

It was Her wedding and She was supposed to look Her best. But today, She couldn't think of anything else except for simplicity.

Shiva's simplicity had set Him apart and She admired Him alot for that. She too decided to adopt His ways and approaches. She had dressed up simply in a white and red robe with minimal flower jewellery.

She still looked so beautiful that the crowd gasped in awe when She entered. White was Her complexion, as pure and pristine and as shimmering like camphor. And the Rudraksha bead adorned Her hair like a tiara. She never removed it or parted from it.

"Sati, why aren't You wearing Your wedding garments? What has happened to You?" Her sisters enquired in worry and concern.

But Sati paid no attention to them. She turned a deaf ear to everyone. She was only focused on finding Him.

Even amidst the million faces standing in front of Her, She was only searching for Shiva. Her eyes wildly scanned the entire arena but He was nowhere to be seen.

Her heart sank with disappointment. She fell back in Her place. Her chest was aching so badly that She wished She were dead instead.

'Maybe He forgot to come Here. After all, He is the Great Lord and what significance can I have in His life? I'm just a meagre devotee in the swarm of His loved ones. He is so busy with them and I cannot expect Him to reciprocate My feelings. I am so stupid to have hoped or believed.' Overthinking made Her mind restless.

She breathed a deep breath, and closed Her eyes. She remembered what Maharishi Dadhichi had taught Her. "He comes even if You call Him with only pure devotion. Just a single bilva tree leaf is enough to please Him."

She thought to give it one last try. She would rather not live in regret of not trying. After all, there was nothing to lose. Everything existed as long as one had hope. Hope is the essence of the Divine and we feel His presence only because we believe.

And She couldn't imagine anyone else to be Her Husband.

She threw the garland high up in the air, not knowing Herself what She was doing. She just trusted Her own intuition. Maybe Her head told Her to throw the garland away, because it could not belong to anyone else if not to Shiva. Or maybe Her heart hoped that some miracle would happen and save Her grace.

And quite indeed, a miracle did happen. Shiva appeared at the moment the garland was flung in the sky. The garland miraculously swayed and encircled itself around His neck, as if it were meant for Him and solely belonged to Him.

Everything belongs to Shiva. And Sati, too , only belonged to Him.

He was the one who wore the infinite Sky as an adornment. And the moment the garland touched the sky drifting through the wind, He appeared from the sky itself to accept it and adorn it around His neck.

Sati's joy knew no bounds and She was so elated that Her prayers were accepted. Shiva had accepted Her as His Wife.

Though it was Her swayamvar and Her choice of marriage, Shiva had chosen Her for Himself.

This angered Daksha further. His grudges against Shiva were increasing every moment and with every passing step.

But He had no choice in front of His choice. He had to oblige according to rules and prepared for Sati and Shiva's wedding.

All the Gods, Gandharvas, Kings and Princes assembled bowed in reverence to Shiva, the great Lord. Whatever belongs to Him, ultimately finds their way.

Sati beamed with joy and hugged Him. Her greatest dream was finally true.

।। ॐ नमः पार्वती पतिये हर हर महादेव ।। ।। ॐ नमः शिवाय ।।

।। ॐ नमः शिवाय ।।