Forty Two

The idea of facing her wrath was definitely not appealing.

Zaviyaar noticed Noor's unease, and his playful expression softened into a reassuring one. "Hey, don't worry too much. Just make sure to give Daadi a good excuse."

Noor rushed into Daadi's room, her heart still racing from the hurried walk. Daadi was sitting on the bed, looking expectantly at Noor with a knowing smile. Noor's mind raced to come up with a plausible excuse that wouldn't raise suspicion.

"Daadi, I'm so sorry for being late," Noor began, trying to catch her breath. "I couldn't sleep, so I was tidying up the living room and lost track of time."

Daadi's eyes twinkled with amusement, and she patted the space next to her on the bed. "Come, my child. Sit with me."

Noor hesitated for a moment, wondering if Daadi had already heard about her late-night conversation with Zaviyaar. She sat down, her nerves evident in the way she fidgeted with her fingers.

Daadi's gentle voice broke the silence. "Noor, you're a good-hearted girl, and I trust you. But I hope you're taking care of yourself. You need your rest."

Noor's eyes widened slightly, realizing that Daadi's concern was about her well-being rather than her whereabouts. She let out a relieved breath and smiled. "Thank you, Daadi. I promise to make sure I get enough rest."

Daadi's smile softened, and she reached out to gently pat Noor's hand. "That's my girl. Your health is a priority."

As Noor sat there, feeling a renewed sense of gratitude for Daadi's caring nature, she couldn't help but reflect on her recent conversation with Zaviyaar. His words about change and taking care of oneself resonated in her mind. She knew that her responsibilities were important, but she also recognized the value of finding balance in her own life.

Meanwhile, Zaviyaar leaned back against the terrace railing, the stillness of the middle of the night engulfing him. His thoughts drifted back to his recent chat with Noor. The idea of change and self-improvement echoed in his mind, amplified by the quiet of the night.

His phone buzzed with a message from one of his friends, inviting him to yet another late-night gathering. Zaviyaar hesitated, his gaze fixed on the message. With a determined expression, he typed a response, declining the invitation. It was time to make choices that aligned with his evolving mindset, even if it meant breaking away from old patterns.

After dinner, Daniyal attempted to call Khalifa, but to his mounting frustration, Khalifa's phone was consistently unreachable. The fact that Khalifa had taken such a deliberate step by switching off his phone set off alarm bells in Daniyal's mind. It seemed increasingly likely that Khalifa had somehow caught wind of Daniyal's awareness towards his actions, which explained him avoiding the calls.

Rabail noticed the worry etched across her husband's face. She couldn't bear to see him upset, and concern furrowed her brow. "What's troubling you, Dani?" she inquired, her voice filled with genuine worry.

Daniyal hesitated, not wanting to burden Rabail with his concerns. He finally spoke, his voice tinged with apprehension, "It's just some work-related stress, love. Nothing for you to worry about."

Rabail studied him for a moment, unconvinced by his explanation. She could sense that something more was at play. "Dani, you can tell me anything. We're a team, remember?"

Daniyal sighed, realizing that he couldn't keep this from Rabail any longer. He looked into her eyes and said, "Okay, Rabail, it's about Khalifa. He's not a good man, and there's a real threat to someone we care about."

As he began to explain who Khalifa was and the danger he posed to Noor, Rabail's expression shifted from concern to a mixture of fear.

"Mama, mama, mama," Zenia's cries echoed through the house. Mrs. Mehnaz was nowhere to be seen, and Zenia had just returned from school. Her tears stopped abruptly when she entered the room and spotted Noor sitting on the prayer mat. She toddled over and sat down beside Noor, imitating her actions in innocent curiosity.