Four

"Sairah and I couldn't bear the thought of being apart from each other, so getting married to someone else was out of the question. We decided to elope, which looking back, was not a very respectable decision. And Saleem, I want you to know that you should never consider doing something like that. We required a molvi and a couple of witnesses for the nikkah, which was easy to arrange. However, the challenging part was the logistics. Back then, we didn't have as many modern houses and cars on the streets. Gujrat had beautiful scenic views of nature, and the air was so fresh that when you inhaled it, it was a sweet flowery scent mixed with a hint of wet mud. The people were very hospitable, and Eid used to be a joyous occasion. We used to dress up early in the morning and go give the halwa Amma made to the whole village. My brother and I used to race to see who could give away the most packages, and he always lost and cried later."

Chaudhary sahib's smile faded as he reminisced about his brother. "May Allah grant him the highest rank in Jannah," he said solemnly. His brother had passed away at a young age while working for an offshore oil company in the Gulf. Chaudhary sahib was devastated by the loss, and it had occurred at a time when he was already at his lowest point.

"Back then, without the distractions of technology, people cherished spending time with each other. The fields around us were vast, with cattle freely grazing and the sky painted in shades of blue. The atmosphere was pure and untouched by pollution, everything felt natural. During winters, people could be seen stitching clothes or creating pots out of clay, which is one of the specialties of Gujrat, while basking in the warmth of the sun. In the evenings, children played on the streets with rocks, sand, and homemade kites.

It was a freezing night in October when I sneaked out and ran all the way to the mosque near Sairah's house. I was ten minutes late because your grandma took so long to go to bed. "Where have you been?" she asked. "Amma jaan was offering her Salah, so she went to bed late," I replied. Sairah looked stunning in her traditional Gujrati shalwar kameez, and I couldn't believe that she was soon to be my wife. The nikkah went off without a hitch, and we set off for another village on an animal cart, as that was all I could afford."

Saleem was deeply moved by his father's life story, but he couldn't help but feel puzzled about why his father insisted on marrying Amna instead of the love of his life, Sairah. After all, Sairah had risked everything to be with Abba jaan and had made him so happy. Why couldn't he see that love marriage could also turn out well?

Saleem felt a bit frustrated with his father's tendency to overemphasize emotions in every situation. If only he could think more logically and see how fitting Mariam would be as his wife. "Look, Abba, love marriages can be successful too," he said, hoping to persuade his father to reconsider his decision. Chaudhary Sahab looks at his son with a sad smile, "The tale still isn't finished yet, my son, life was going well, but then, life took a turn for the worse. One day, while I was at the farm, a massive flood hit our village, wiping out everything in its path. Our hut was destroyed, and all our belongings were washed away. We were left with nothing but the clothes on our backs and each other." Saleem's heart sank as he listened to his father's story. He couldn't imagine how difficult it must have been for his father and stepmother to survive such a calamity. "What did you do, Abba?" he asked. "We had no choice but to start over," Chaudhary Sahab replied. "We moved to another village and worked hard to rebuild our lives. It was a tough time, but we managed to get by." Saleem felt a surge of admiration for his father and stepmother. Despite the hardships they faced, they had managed to persevere and rebuild their lives. "You both are so strong," he said. Chaudhary Sahab nodded. "We had to be. Life isn't always easy, my son, but you have to keep going. And sometimes, even if you don't understand it at the time, things happen for a reason. Your stepmother, Sairah  came into my life when I needed her the most, and I'm grateful for that."