Chapter 28 - So Far Gone

Maria's POV

Nat and I flew to London the next day after we made sure Kate, Wanda and Yelena were safe. We found out that Steve was attending the funeral of an old friend. That was the reason he left so abruptly during our meeting. Sam and Bucky were also here with Steve. We are sitting in the back of the church as the ceremony begins. A choir starts singing and we see Steve is one of six pallbearers carrying the coffin. His eyes are red, he's been crying.

Margaret 'Peggy' Carter is what the label reads under her picture at the alter.

The Priest says some beautiful words during the ceremony and invites Sharon Carter to come up. Nat and I look at each other confused and it looks like Steve was also surprised to see her there.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD . . . but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy."

I understand that Sharon was kidnapped and brainwashed, but it is so hard for me to sit her and look at her. She is the reason Hydra has my sister. But I do sympathize with her. She just came back and her aunt passes away. It looks like they may have been close. Nat senses my uneasiness and grabs my hand.

"Are you ok?" Nat asks squeezing my hand. I just nod at her and continue to listen to Sharon.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I unfortunately was not able to see her for a while. . . um . . . because work got in the way. But thankfully I was able to see her one last time before she passed.

I let out a sigh as I see Sharon become a bit emotional. I know I am being a bit to hard on her, but it is just really difficult.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move . . . it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say . . . No, you move."

Sharon finishes and just a little while later the ceremony also concludes. We find Steve standing alone in the isle and we head over to him. He notices us and gives us a small smile.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her." Steve says.

"She had you back, too." Nat says. Steve and Nat have always been close friends, so I know she wants nothing more than to console her friend.

"Who else signed?" Steve then asks.

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision." I answer.

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired." Nat says .

"What about Wanda, Kate and Yelena?"

"Let's just say it is TBD."

"So they are safe?"

"Yea, they are. We are off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." Steve just looks at Nat before he bows his head.

"You know we are not signing."

"Yea we know. Just though you may want to tag along. Did you know that Sharon would be here?" I ask.

"No I had no idea."

"Are you all talking about me?" Sharon asks as she walks in to join us. I stare right at her and she looks at me and quickly looks elsewhere.