Nibble their power.

The Duchess and the governess looked at the Duke with a lot of mixed feelings.
It was a mix between disbelief and incomprehension. And of course, the only person who seemed to be having fun was me.
The Duke had just withdrawn the management of the affairs of the house from the Duchess, the supposed mistress of the house, to hand it over to her daughter, who had been ignored for more than fifteen years. And the worst is that she has, they know, no knowledge of the matter.

"Your grace, listen, Mylène has no idea how to take care of a house like this. Besides, recruiting and firing employees is a delicate task. You have to be rigorous and I doubt that Mylène has enough foresight and authority for that."

Claude was sitting at his desk reading documents while listening on the fly to what his wife was trying to tell him.

I saw that he probably wanted me to prove myself so I stood in front of my mother-in-law and held out my hand.

" Sofiane, can I please have the keys to the cellar? And I would be delighted if the accounting records of the house were sent to me as soon as possible. Without forgetting the names and contacts of all the suppliers who deliver to us the foodstuffs necessary for our diet. I would like to know how much the Hosten residence spends per week, especially if there is not someone who enjoys inflating the budget."

I smiled viciously as I said this, enraging the Duchess. Not only had I called her by her first name without any title, but I also implied that she could have diverted some funds that the duke would have granted her for the good management of the residence.

" Mylène, I don't know why you're saying such things. I've always had impeccable management over the past fifteen years and the products I brought in were top quality so…"

"So no... Sofiane, I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm just speculating, it's normal every time management passes from one hand to another, We have to make sure through an audit that the previous management was good not to find myself in delicate situations."

Sofiane wanted to slap this impudent but the duke was now on her side. It was obvious that if she dared to do it at least in front of him, she was sure he wouldn't let her slip away so easily.

"I…" she wanted to say, but I cut her off.

"So don't worry, I'll handle it perfectly. Dad has blind faith in me and he only makes good decisions. Which means he judges that I'll be perfect. Now hand over the keys to the cellar and the other documents that I have requested from you."

Sofiane looked at Claude over Mylène's shoulder but the latter wasn't even looking at them anymore, immersed in his work. She was flushed with anger and embarrassment; since when had the balance of power changed in this house and the less than nothing, the waste of the family found herself above her, the mistress of the house?

She clenched her fists in anger and grabbed her dress with the other hand, if she did that and she abandoned what made her the mistress of the house to Mylène, what would her place be in this house now?

She wouldn't have to raise her head in front of anyone anymore, no she had to do something or she was finished.

"Well....I'll give you the documents later, I'll collect them first."

She took the key out of the cellar and placed it in the palm of Mylène's outstretched hand, who smiled at her with a whisper.

"I'll go now."

"Remember, I expect the documents before tonight." I insisted when I could see that the woman was holding herself back so as not to explode in rage.

Sofiane and her governess left Claude's office red with anger, while, remaining with my father, I began to giggle under his jaded gaze.
Things were getting more and more exciting in this crazy mansion.