Chapter 29

Narrator

A month went by and there was no sign of this supposed boss that was ready to meet with Y/N, the one who wanted her for himself. But he never made an appearance at least not for her to notice.
She had settled down in her new division, being in charge of her own department. Something that she had dreamed of being her biggest goal.

Being wrapped up in her work she hadn't noticed that the month went by, but she has noticed LJ's absence. It was hard not to...she was so used to having him around in some way shape or form. They had spent so much time together, even when they were purely enemies. 
But his disappearance spoke louder than words.

She had a employee that wanted more work, wanted more information about their investigation. He reminded her of herself when she first started the job. 
"Jacob can you meet me in my office please." she called out to that same employee. After considering his enthusiasm, she felt like she had to give him something more.

He always completed his tasks, his goals and his orders were always carried out with the up most effectiveness. Once in her office she sat down and Jacob walked in and sat in front of her desk.
"Jacob I wanted to personally congratulate you in completing your last job. Your report was amazing." she said as she smiled warmly.

"Thank you so much, miss L/N. All I want to do is make you proud." he said as he smiled and hummed at her praise. He seemed to have a drive to want to do good for her, he also seemed to crave her attention.
But she didn't think too much on that, since he didn't really show anything other than a professional attitude.

"You know something Jacob, you remind me if myself when I first started in the company. So full of wonder and the drive to bring in justice." She stated as she intertwined her fingers together. She then took a deep breath before she spoke yet again. 
"That being said, I need you to do something for me. But it requires discretion because it's taboo."

Y/N said as she then reached into her desk and grabbed a folder, she placed it on her desk and slid it towards him.
"This is your first solo investigation, I have no doubt that you can carry on this task." she said as he then took the folder into his hands and opened it.

His eyes going wide as he realized what he was instructed to do was insane in a legal perspective.
"You want me to investigate the police station...?" he asked with uncertainty to his tone of voice. To which she nodded without hesitation.

"As you know the police department is playing some sort of wishy-washy game with the public. To which the media has picked up on but they rather do as instructed other than suffer a potential incarceration; which I do not doubt that they have been threatened with." She spoke with authority as she stood up from her desk and walked over to her bulletin board.

"I have chosen you for this particular job because of the fact that you know how to ask questions without arousing suspicion." 
She said as she shrugged and gave him a smile.
"We have to find out why they rather lie to the public than to say what they have found out. I know they know something more than what they are saying."

Jacob nodded as his expression changed to one of determination. "I will not let you down boss." he said as he stood up and clutched the file to his chest.
"Remember this must be kept secret...not everyone will understand why this is important." she said as she then instructed him to leave. 
He nodded and he left the room.

She knew that he wouldn't disappoint, he was one of the best employees there. The only one that went above and beyond in the pursuit of information.
Y/N continued her day of work like any other, writing somethings down, attending meetings and discussing assignments.

After some time the work day concluded by 12:00 AM. Jacob was still there when everyone else had left, she locked her office and she walked over to Jacob.
"I see you are hard at work, but you should get some rest." she said as she placed her hand on his shoulder. But she quickly jerked her hand away once he felt that he was ice cold.

"Oh? Yes you are right, I can walk you to your car." He offered and she shook her head and gave him an awkward smile.
"I-...I can go to my car by myself, just be sure to lock up when you are done..." she said before she left him alone.

'He was as cold as death...what the hell.' she thought to herself as she got into the elevator. And before the doors closed someone's hand stopped the doors from closing. It was Jacob...He walked in and stayed silent and they went down to the ground floor.
They walked out together as Y/N felt herself tense up for a moment, he ended up following her to her car.

"Okay...well thank you so much for walking me to my car. I will see you in the morning." she said as she opened her car door and huffed.
Jacob seemed to have something to say but he didn't he just nodded and smiled before he walked off.
"That was weird..." she said to herself as she climbed into her car and locked the doors before turning on the car.

"Who even was that...?" the sound of a voice coming from her backseat made her jump and scream for a moment getting scared.
"Oops." the voice was familiar to her so she looked back and noticed it was Jeff.
"How long have you been in here?" Y/N asked as she was able to relax from her initial scare. 

Jeff sat back and he took a moment to think, before he spoke again. 
"I think I have been here since 8 PM or so, you work long hours." He said as he shrugged for a moment.

She stared at him in disbelief for a moment before she began her drive home. This guy was really taking his job more seriously than she thought.
After a silent drive they arrived at her house and she parked in her driveway, before getting out she turned to him and spoke.
"You know...being so quiet makes you seem like a stalker." 

"Well don't flatter yourself too much with that statement cause I am not interested." He stated as he shrugged and got out of the car, along with her.
She huffed briefly and she walked to her front door and unlocked it, but Jeff placed his hand on the door.

"There is something that isn't sitting right with me. Jacob seems off." Jeff said as he then huffed and looked to the side noticing that the neighbors lights came on.
"I have to go...I'll be inside in a bit, I have to go through the back." 
He said before he disappeared into the night without a trace.

Before her neighbor came outside she went into her house and locked the door behind her. She placed her things down and she went upstairs and got ready for bed. 
The day was eventful and it has a rather weird end to it, why did that man feel so cold to the touch?

That same feeling she got from the first time she ever laid hands on Jack.
'Could he be one of them? No...I must be tired, not all of them can have disguises...can they?' she thought to herself before concluding the day and drifting off in slumber.

-To be continued-

What is up with that employee of yours? And why is he so obsessed with making you proud?

Is Jeff right in saying that there something wrong in the picture? and Could you rely on his judgement?

Find out next chapter

I hope you are all enjoying the story so far, as much as I am enjoying to write it. I am taking an opportunity that I am not busy at the moment and writing as much as I can.

Sincerely

CR33PYKSTUDIOS