chapter thirty nine

- AURELIA JONES -

Ollie and I were the last ones standing after everyone had gone to bed.

They left a while ago, and we were alone with a dying fire and a bad feeling.

"I hope you know I don't blame you." I said to him.

I felt his head turn and his eyes on me, but I kept staring straight ahead. "I hope you know that I still love you as much as I did before Jace, and I understand why you did what you did."

The familiar sting of his name on my lips tugged at my heartstrings, but it also made me angry. The bruising on my face and scars on my body, the pain he put me through.

The trauma... from all those years he lied to me. I feel like I never even knew him.

Ollie scooted closer to me and put his arm around my shoulder. I leaned my head on him, "Thank you." He said simply.

"For what?"

"Loving me."

The fire eventually died and Ollie started to yawn, I offered to take the rest of the shift and he started to argue, but I won him over and he went to bed.

Now I'm really alone.

I hate being alone with myself. My thoughts, feelings, emotions. I get too stuck inside my head and I can't get out. I panic and cry and freak out. It's not a good look.

I huddled my knees to my chest and rested my head on them, overlooking what is left of the buildings that once stood tall. All that's left is broken walls and rubble.

I checked on Lyza twice, she was sound asleep. But the third time I went, I noticed Shoju wasn't where I left him in the drivers seat.

My heart started racing as I looked around for him. It wasn't until he tapped me on the shoulder that I realised he hadn't left.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He whispered. I shook my head, "No- it's not that." I said.

"What? You thought I left?" He said with a smirk. I shrugged, "I came to give you this." He said, handing me the skillet pot from before, "What is it?"

"I noticed you didn't have any, so I saved you what was left. It isn't much but- it'll do until we get to that boat."

I looked down at the food and then back at him, leaning my head against his chest and closing my eyes. "Thank you." I whispered.

He chuckled, "You're welcome. Now eat, I'll take next watch."

+ + +

The day had finally arrived, and we headed off early morning in search of Williamson Marina.

Vermont wasn't far from where we'd slept, it was just a case of figuring it out. None of us had been here before, aside from Lyza, but she doesn't know where to go either!

"Wait, wait a minute- is that it?" Shoju pointed, a small, broken sign on the edge of a building reading 'Marina', "I'll signal the guys." I said quickly, accessing the walkie talkie.

"Guys, do you see that sign on the end of that building? Does that say Marina?"

The car stopped and a crackle came back through the radio, "Yeah, I think you're right. Let's follow it round and see where it goes."

Much to my surprise, the street we were following came out onto a boat dock, a couple yards away from where we were supposed to go. "Oh my gosh, that's my boat!" Lyza squealed from the backseat, jumping up and pointing.

I wasn't sure what she was talking about until I saw a two-story boat reading 'The Lyza' on the side. "I think we found our boat." Shoju said to me.

Discarding of the cars quickly and efficiently, Angel and I stayed behind with Lyza to clear our stuff and drain the gas into canisters incase we need it later, whilst the boys scope out the boat incase of any unwanted visitors.

"They've been gone for a while, do you think they're okay?" Angel asked nervously. I shrugged, "I haven't heard any screaming so I'm going to assume they're fine."

Angel sighed, "It's so weird being back with you guys. I lost myself for so long, I didn't think Rez would be able to bring me back." She ended with a small chuckle, but it was a fake one.

"We're glad to have you back. I was so worried about you, I didn't know what had happened. I thought someone had done something to you but-"

"Hey Aurelia!" Lyza said, pulling my arm, "Can I show you my room when we get inside the boat?" She asked me. I nodded, "Of course you can. Is it pink?"

Just then, the boys came trailing off the boat, guns down and successful smiles plastered on their faces, "The thing is clear, and surprisingly easy to navigate. It's like a manual car with a massive steering wheel." Ollie relayed, mocking the size of it with his hands.

"What are we waiting for then? All aboard." I smiled, taking Lyza's hand as we followed everyone onto the boats.

I felt my nerves creeping up on me as we made our way onto the boat. The eeriness of it adding onto the anxiety I was already filled with.

Lyza squeezed my hand, "It's okay! I've been here a million times!" She smiled. I looked down at the small girl and gave her a weak smile.

Hopefully she doesn't see through the facade. Because in reality, I'm terrified.

The boat was small, but big enough for the six of us. There were three beds, the master, Lyza's, and the spare.

Lyza let go of my hand and rushed into a room off the corner of the hallway. "Be careful Lyza!" I called after her, hair standing up on end.

It was quiet. Almost too quiet. And i knew as soon as we started the engine, we would be swarmed with walkers. 

They're attracted to noise. So we needed to move fast.

"Okay, settle in everyone. We need to leave soon, and quickly. I'd hate to attract unwanted attention."

As soon as he'd said that, there was a small scream coming from Lyza's room.

Without thinking I ran for her, picking her up without looking back.

+ + +

Hello babies!!

I wrote this at night time... lowkey got the heebeejeebies!!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I appreciate all the love, it's you guys that keep me writing.

Much love.

WC: 1,085