Champagne and dinner parties

Aaron

We get to hotel that Kate had already made reservations for. Like we were all supposed to celebrate in the first place,like I didn't just find out this morning that I would be signing the papers. I thought I had more time to convince him,but right now its a done deal. The only way out is divorce now. God knows what the public will say when the get wind of that,
"To the newlyweds."Kate exclaims and raises her glass,in defeat I raise my mine as well. Cyrus being the last one to do that. I note down his behaviour for today. All of it. How he didn't say hello to Mr Brown,how he ran to restroom,and was followed by Mr Brown. They definitely talked about something in there,I don't know what. But I will soon,I watch again as he pretends to take a sip of his champagne. He's been doing that all night.
The golden light from the chandelier dances gracefully over his fawn hued skin,how he looks so perfectly out of place in a sea of suits he's the only hoodie. He holds the glass to his lips,his eyes telling me he's distant. Thinking about something probably. But what? I already promised myself that I would find out what goes on his mind.
"Cyrus? You don't drink,do you?"Mrs Brown teases,and Cyrus comes back to the present
"Oh,no not often."He mutters,like he's shy. Maybe he really is,if that's what he looks like then I suppose he's kind of- cute.. nope,no,no,no N to the O I can't be getting side tracked like this.
"Aaron,you knew this and you still let the waiter serve it for him?"I can almost never get over how different the pair of Brown's are. It wasn't long ago when they got married,I almost couldn't believe he was marrying such a cheerful and talkative woman. Nonetheless,I'm not complaining her chatter makes it easier for anyone to hold a conversation. It's a great aspect when it comes to me and Mr Brown's quiet selves.
I always liked that about her except right now. Right now I wish she didn't mention it at all,"Well,me and Cyrus don't drink much when we're together. How in the world am I supposed to admire him if I'm not sober?"I feel the Cyrus in question wince as soon as I put my hand on his. I don't feel like doing this either I want to tell his tensed up face. But I can't because Mr Brown thought it would be such a good idea to not tell his wife about the real situation between me and Cyrus.
She thinks we magically fell in love with each other,like two lovers would in a fairy tale. Oh how unexpected! But that's not the case at all, "Why didn't you tell me?"I ask him,and flashing his adorable crooked tooth at the very edge of his mouth. Eyes glowing and all,my heart starts it's nonsense again,
"There's a lot of things I don't tell you."He says simply. But it's not simple at all,I hate that we have to do this,Mr Brown could just tell her and be over with this. But no. We have to because he said so. I have to sit front seat giving myself away to be distracted by this scheming brat.
"Oh,really now?"
"Of course."Then he winks,he has the audacity to wink at me. I want to go home and take a much needed nap. I room walls away from this sore part of my life,
"Aaron,what type of foods does Cyrus like? Maybe I can make them for him when he comes to visit us."she takes a bite miniature piece of her stake as she awaits my  answer. An answer I don't have mind you. I rack my brain trying to find the most dodgy,and no point answer. Maybe I can side track her? No,that won't work she'll just ask me again. Chirst,
"Uhhh- he likes sweet stuff. Candies especially."that's all I ever saw him eat back when he was fourteen,nad I had just finished high-school. His grandfather's funeral,he ate at least twenty mint candies in one sitting while his knee bounced up and down. The clearest memory I have of him,the first time I looked on from a distant and had to admit to myself that I thought he was cute.
Cyrus looks at me and raises a brow,his face falling intoa puzzled look. Seems like I hit bullseye,
"That calls for a tea party then. Cyrus,darling what kind of cake do you like?"
"Mint- chocolate. Or just chocolate,I don't actually have cake much,but I definitely prefer chocolate."Another mental note. He likes chocolate cake ( possibly with milk?),is talkative with people he likes,and he's eyes glow when he's talking about something he likes. I don't need that last one get rid of it. Oh,no I can't. It's stuck.
"That's good to hear,I have the best recipe. I know you'll love it."she says and Cyrus nods earnestly at everything she has to say. Note: Cyrus is great at talking to older people.

__________________

The drive home is stuffy and silent. I think about everything I know about him and he seems to be gloating that he got home so late.
Did whatever he had to do more important than everything that happened today? I pull up to the parking lot,the car is still practically moving when he gets out in a rush. He's already out of ear shot before I can call out to him.
I follow him to my- bah,our apartment. He's already in his room,looking way to focused on his computer to even notice me staring at him from his door.
It's already been a couple of days since he moved in and all his boxes are still out and about. His suitcase is open on his unspread bed,clothes are on the floor and only a couple of boxes are open. The sight makes me want to jump in there and arrange everything all while chanting self help book tips. He'd probably hate that,but it's true a better space makes for a better mind. I forgot which one that was from. Seeing it like that makes me have a strange feeling in my chest... like I want to go up and hug him and not tell him how lazy he is or anything. But I can't because that's not us,that's never been us.
He starts typing things,and looking through the baby blue notebook I see him carry around everywhere. He's so cute- then he picks up his phone and says,"Hey Jesse,back from your parents yet? You know you're my ride."I can't watch him any longer. I can't watch him dump all that sweet and tender fondness in his voice to someone but never me. I can't watch him completely disregard the fact that I said I would take him to work and campus if he wants. I can't watch him smile like that for someone else.
Now don't you go twisting my words I only feel that way because- because. Ugh. Fine,I don't know why I feel like this way about him. Why I always get distracted when he's around me,why my heart responds the way it does when he gets close to me. I don't know,I hate not knowing things. That's why hate him so much,he makes me confused about what I want,how I want it and all that.
Best not to think too hard about it right now.
Right now I need to think of the agreement I want him to sign.