We're different now right?

Aaron

I get back from the drug store. No,I'm not sick or buying anything weird. I just make runs to the drug store to buy things that my- ugh! OUR house may  need for a later date. Painkillers,stomach medicine,cough drops and the occasional tampons. Extremely occasional,because I doubt we will be hosting ovary havers leave alone actual people.
I hope...
Anyway I do this all the time then I fill my cabinet with what I get. I realised earlier today that I didn't have anymore painkillers because I took them all. Where did I take them? What else do you think,all the headaches Cyrus can cause is astronomical. I think it should become a competitive sport so that he can be forever called the goat.
I walk into the lobby and make my little wave and bow to Preeti. The head manager at our apartment complex and the former organiser of our wedding. Then I see our landlord.
Perfect timing.
I needed to talk to her about something. I walk up to the fifty something old woman. Her hair has greyed more and more as time passes but she's still as hard of hearing and as sweet. She instantly puts on her glasses so she can see me when I'm infront of her,I smile and she doesn't back. Okay...? What does that mean? She only does that when I piss her off somehow.
She did the same thing when Austin was house sitting for me and he came with one of his dogs because they were sick. They ran away into another tenants apartment and went to the toilet. Number two and one for no ones information. I came back still didn't know and I smiled at her. She looked at me like she wanted to kill me with her knitting needles.
"Is something wrong Mrs Green?"I ask,
"Oh,so you haven't checked your phone? I thought that's all you young people do nowadays."for some reason I immediately think of how Cyrus is always calling me and old man and have the urge to correct her. Is that bad?
"No,no I have. I wanted to talk to you about why you returned half of my rent to me when I payed you."yes that's right I rent this place. I can afford to buy it or get like six month plans but I don't want to. I'm going to leave eventually,find a better,more homey house somewhere far away. Somewhere peaceful. Maybe start a family- wait I can only do that with one person. And I don't like him even a silly little article about how our children will look amazing and be smart made me throw up a little. Seriously just the thought keeps me up at night,
"Aaron you can't be the slightest bit serious. Half of rent was already paid."
"What? By who?"she looks like she's about to choke me to death with her knitted scarf
"Your husband. Stop acting like your the old person who needs a nap between the both of us."remember what I said about her being sweet? Add a little mean to that description.
Wait- Cyrus paid half of our rent? "Wait,wait,he what? Did he come looking for you?"
"Yes,a couple of days ago he did. Asking alot of questions and all gave me a real head ache."I want to say tell me about it but I decide that's not appropriate right now,"If you two are having a little quarrel with each other,please for my sake and for that of others keep it between the two of you. I had to call my grandchild to teach me how to make return transactions."she huffs and my face is now burning bright red. I don't know whether it's over embarrassment or anger. Both maybe?
"We're not having an argument-"
"Then what is it? It's been on a month now since you two got married,I would know it was on the television. One month since you two lived together. First month went okay,you paid. Now that you're arguing he wants to prove a point."she scolds me and I want to open my mouth to protest but she isn't having any of it,
"Listen you two need to sort this out. I don't want this happening next month."she walks away and I waste no time (okay I did waste some of it because of contemplating what my life has become.)
I get to our apartment ready to call him to ask what he thinks he's doing then I see him. Sitting on the coach in pajamas that don't even match. Pink at the bottom and green for his shirt. That makes no logical sense,of you want to wear pj's at least don't end up looking like a banned candy from the seventies. They'd call him tropi-pop or something of the sort. He's has a huge bowl of popcorn in his lap,chewing so loud he might be a new form of power source for the entire country. That or I'm just pissed that he hasn't noticed I'm even here. He's to engrossed in his- cartoon?
He's watching a cartoon. A literal kids show. With little teams and the power of friendship. I'm pretty sure I saw Victor's (a good friend of mine and Austin's) Five year old watching the other day. Whatever that's a conversation for later,"Cyrus."I say snapping his out of his trance. He's never looked more bored with my as he pauses what he's watching and faces me,
"Can't you see I'm doing something here? Or do I need to spell it out for you some how?"he flods his arms over his chest,spilling popcorn on the floor in the process. Must he be so... messy?
"Oh,I'm sure. You've been doing lots of things lately haven't you? Things like looking for our landlord and paying her half the rent?!"he seems unfazed with me making my blood boil even more,
"Yeah,I did. I just thought you might want to take a break from working so hard. Must've relieved you,huh?"he shrugs like its nothing,no biggie actually.
"Cyrus. We had an agreement,I shoulder all the responsibilities until your older and have an actual position in the company."I supply and he scoffs,
"What makes you think I can't afford to pay half the rent?"
"The fact that it's six thousand- plus! Dollars. You're a college student,I'm not lettingyou pay for that. Otherwise I'd let you."I wish,desperately,helplessly almost pitifully want to reach past the wall in those eyes. The dark storm that covers the island holding his secrets,his hobbies,his life. Who he is. That vulnerability that he never wants to let me see even for a split second. It's been a month. Are we still supposed to hate each other  like when this all started?
It's different now isn't it?
We're different now right?
I stand infront of him and suddenly I'm contemplating the status of our relationship.
"I can afford that,Aaron I'm not a baby. I've been working my whole life."he says matter-a factly and I stare him. Now more and more comfortable with standing face to face with him reliving what happened not to long ago,"Besides I'm just trying to help the man who decided to pay my tuition."he grumbles under his breath,
"But you don't have to. Do you not trust me enough to say fine,okay I'll leave it to him. Cyrus,I'm here."
"Why would I ever do that? Your Aaron and I'm Cyrus."I hate the fact that that's what's keeping us at this unreasonable distance,some petty words that were said when we were kids and Mr Brown calling me son. Can we not just excuse those things for a moment and be.. I don't know more- Rational for a start?
"Cyrus. It's my job to take care of you."I say and meet myself with the same cold response in his eyes,
"That's not in papers is it."he's right it's not. I don't know why I don't like that fact anymore. We're just about to argue a little more until he takes his movie night to his bedroom leaving me to have the house to myself when the door bell rings.
"What is that?"I ask him as he walks to the door in his pj's,I should probably take it if it's serious,
"I ordered pizza."he mumbles taking out his phone so he pay the delivery man.
"You- Cyrus you know we're supposed to follow my meal plan. Is this what you eat when I'm at work?"he ignores me and opens the door. Silence. I wonder what he's doing not saying a word to them,I turn just in time to hear him say,
"Nana. What are you doing here?"