Clothes for a ball

Cyrus

Zahir Patel is attending the Masquerade ball- I was happy,like ecstatic so excited but I could barely celebrate when he told me he was on the plane to the States for the event. Wanna know why? A certain douch bag husband slept outside. That jerk. I was actually scared when he didn't show up last night,he doesn't even deserve me getting worried about him but I couldn't help it. It's unlike him. I wanted to text him but I couldn't,I won't text him until I'm not having the urge to put super glue on his office chair and cut holes into his suits. Book a plane to the dessert and leave him to die,or something.
Even now I'm painstakingly checking my phone every two minutes worried that he might actually be dead before I make his life hell. That wouldn't be fair would it? "Something wrong,love?"Zahir asks me as we walk into the store to see which suits we're going to wear. I trust the fashion designer here will really help me out,and distract me from Aaron.
"Oh,it's nothing. Let's pick some to try on,shall we?"he nods enthusiastically and I'm sadly still thinking about him even AFTER an entire montage of me and Zahir trying on suits. I mean we even played coming of age music and did little dances- worst news though we haven't found what I'll wear because Zahir revealed he already has a suit to wear. From the pictures I'm already so envious of him,it's a sparkly,as in COVERED in glitter and dimes Indian attire suit with a crimson piece of fabric draped over the shoulder. And he made it himself. Would you not be jealous,be honest.
"Oh dear that's horrible. Take it off!"he's said he same thing ten times over in different fonts since we started focusing on my suit. I mean he's not wrong the red,yellow and orange colours mix is hideous. He's just giving me orders from the couch,I take them and take of the insult to fashion,
"Ugh,this is so stressful. Especially,after last night."
"What happened last night?"Zahir asks once I sit down beside him on the in store couch. I'm only now realising I never told him about it,I wonder how I'm gonna word it without letting it slip that me and Aaron aren't actually married. Well we are but- ugh,you guys get it.
"Well,just promise me you won't tell anyone. No matter how good of a scoop this is."I tell him in a whisper,looking around the store to make sure no employees are walking around,
"Can't promise you anything love-"
"Zahir!"
"What? I love a good scoop,people pay good money for info on the country's power couple."he nudges me in my shoulder,with a mischievous smile,
"I don't know about that-"I say,hesitantly and Zahir frowns at me.
"Did something happen between you and Mr right?"
"Guess you could say we had a falling out- you know that person who sending me roses?"
"How could I not? The mystery man who sent the illustrious Cyrus a hundred and one roses. Is it a love triangle or just a attention scheme?"he sings and I'm raise a brow at him,
"So don't freak out okay? It's just,the guy is actually Aaron."I'm not kidding when I say Zahir actually gasps,drawing some unwanted attention to us in the store,
"What a plot twist! How romantic... ugh,you really bagged yourself a baller,huh?"he's looking up to the sky like this is some sort of come to life fairytale and I'm lucky enough to be a character. I'm really not,I stop his sighing and with a loud AHEM. "Well? What's wrong a hundred and one roses isn't a little deal. It's a huge a deal."
"But- I didn't like it. I never have liked those things,"
"So you're mad at him?"he checks his flawless manicured nails as he asks,
"I mean,yes."
"Why don't you just tell him that? Have him apologise."he says as if it's not big deal. It is. I go through the motions of remembering what happened that night all over again for the hundredth time. I walk in,start yelling thinking back he must've been shocked. I didn't handle it well. Have him say he's sorry? I wanted him to do that so badly- yet he didn't even feel bad. He just sat there and yelled back at me,like there was something I had missed,something I didn't understand. What was there to dwell about more.
For the first time I understood what it means to fight with someone.
To have each side not act normal,the past hate came up like bile- you just start to spit words out. Actions fly like the wind,so does the feeling- soon you realise you wish you had done it differently. Not done it at all. Thought about it some more. Is that regret or the dread of situation. Why should I care? Is what I keep asking myself but I don't feel that way,I can't. We haven't spoken in thirty five hours- THIRTY FIVE. He hasn't told me where he slept,where he ate. What he's been doing,nothing. I hate to say this especially about that jerk but I'm worried. It makes me hate this even more,hands itching to just call the guy. I want to ask what I've been thinking about,I swear none of it has anything to do the argument. Nothing.
He also needs to tell me how to wash his favourite pot,I burnt pasta in it. See? He would know how to do that. He knows the house better than I do.
"Why don't you just tell me what you want to tell him. Pretend,I'm your husband."
"... that's a little weird but okay-"I take a deep breath and try to make myself believe that Zahir's deep copper skin is comparable to Aaron's light golden tones. Or his near black eyes to Aaron's amber brown. "I wish you had just given me the gifts Aaron. I know you thought that I wouldn't take them,I would be hesitant if that's what you want to hear. But I would've and you know that,so in my defence you made a terrible argument about me not wanting them. You didn't have to do what you did,your better than that. So I have no idea why you did this so I had to make the assumption that you played a prank on me. I didn't understand it. PSA sorry I yelled at you."Zahir makes a couple of faces when I'm done,like he's judging me,
"So you can't think up a reason why he did it?"
"Yeah... I mean I asked but he didn't answer me."
"Sweetie I've heard enough from you-"he picks up his purse and gets up,"I've decided to make you an outfit. This place doesn't have the vibe."he gestures around the suits like they committed crimes,
"But isn't that a lot of work?"
"No worries hun,I already have the perfect fit for you. I designed all your suits you know?"he says with his near perfect white smile and picks me up as we saunter out of the store not before leaving the store workers tips for their trouble as Zahir calls it.