Chapter 9

Zaria:

Finally after many days I saw Faris. “Where were you these days?” I asked him meanwhile Aafia is looking at him suspiciously. “Nothing. I need to go. My friends called me.” He is acting strange! “I'm telling you Zaria he is the stalker. You should do something before it's too late.” I glared at Aafia. “We can't suspect him without any proof.” I don't want to suspect him but his behaviour is forcing me to suspect him. “We are getting late, duffer. Let's go!” I glared at her again. “Don't glare at me like that all the time.” She pouted. I want to smack her head badly though I refrained myself from doing that. We both started walking towards our home together cause Aafia is going to my home today.

“Assalamu Alaikum uncle and aunty.” Aafia greeted my parents as soon as we entered. “Walaikum Assalam.” My parents said together. As she is talking to my parents, I went uptairs to freshen up. After that I came downstairs sitting beside Aafia and started eating the snacks. “Do you guys want to tell me something?” I asked my parents as they are glancing at me again and again. “Zaria, we are thinking that you should get married.” The biscuit from my hand fell as I looked at my parents shocked. “What?!” I shouted not being able to control myself. “Zaria, first listen what they are saying. Don't get so angry.” Aafia said trying to calm me down. “The guy is Asael, your Safia aunty's son. He is a nice guy so-” Maa wasn’t able to complete her sentence cause she is hesitating after seeing I was looking at her angrily.

“I'm still studying baba. What's the hurry? It hasn’t even been a month since appi got married and you guys are talking about my marriage.” Baba didn’t said anything. He is just staring at me blankly. “We are not forcing you. You have time to think. If you want you can also talk to Asael first then tell us your decision.” I didn't said anything else as I stormed off to my room.

I sat on my bed fidgeting with my fingers. I don't know what should I do. Baba and maa never said a word about my marriage until now. “Zaria calm down.” Aafia sat beside me patting my back to calm me down. I held her hand looking at her. “I don't want to get married now. You know that I made many plans. I want to do many things. I want to pursue my dream. I won't be able to do them if I get married this soon.” I'm on the verge of crying due to frustration and panic attack. “Talk to Asael first before taking any decision.” I narrowed my eyes at her because of what she said. “Did anyone said they won't let you study or not let you do what you want to do?” She is right. I guess I should talk to Asael first.

“I will talk to Asael but what if my parents pressure me? I'm not ready yet.” I'm panicking right now. I never thought my parents talking about my marriage will effect me this much. “First calm down. Why are you panicking so much? I'm sure uncle and aunty won't force you.” She hugged me patting my back and after few minutes I calmed down. “Can I go now?” I didn’t realize it's getting late for her. “Yes you can.” I went  downstairs with her as she is leaving.

My parents were looking at me but they weren’t saying anything. “I want to talk to Asael first.” Maa smiled, baba too. “I will inform Safia about it.” Maa said happily as she went uptairs to their room. I went to my room again. I didn’t have dinner today cause I lost my appetite. Maa called me to eat but I refused to go downstairs. Thankfully maa didn’t forced me to eat.

I will meet Asael tomorrow in the afternoon but not at our house. Asael wanted us to meet at a nearby cafe. I didn’t have any problem with it so I agreed. I'm thinking what will I say to him? I agreed to meet him but what would I say after seeing him? I don't know why I'm overreacting when I know my parents won't force me. Still I'm a bit scared that what if they do? If they blackmail me emotionally then I won't be able to say no. I become weak when it comes to my family. I won't even stand up for myself at that time. Why am I like this? Sometimes I hate myself for this.

I couldn't sleep all day cause I was busy overthinking. Now it's morning already. I did my prayer first then had my breakfast. I didn’t went to university today. I won't be able to concentrate so what's the point of going? Time passed now it's already noon. I closed the book I was reading then got ready to go outside to meet with Asael. Thankfully my parents aren’t like I can't meet and talk with the guy alone. They had let Zehra appi also talk with Zayan bhaiya alone that too in a restaurant. I'm glad Safia aunty also agreed and don't have any problem with us meeting alone.

“Maa I'm leaving.” I yelled while wearing my shoes. “Allah Hafez!” Maa kissed my forehead. She has been so happy since I agreed to meet with Asael. I'm only meeting him not that I agreed to marry him.

I reached the cafe as I was sitting now alone waiting for Asael to come. “Assalamu Alaikum Zaria.” I looked up to see Asael standing in front of me, smiling at me. “Walaikum Assalam.” I smiled back at him.

We were sitting in silence. None of us said a word. “I will be honest, Zaria. I like you a lot. I want to marry you but I won't pressure you to marry me neither your parents will force you. I told maa to inform this to your parents.” I looked at him shocked.

He likes me? Why? I'm not even his type probably cause he is so calm, mature meanwhile I'm the exact opposite. “You are mature enough. Either you didn’t realize it yet or you don't want to admit that you are mature.” Again he knows what I was thinking? “Do you have any superpower? How do you know what I'm thinking?” He laughed and MashaAllah it's the most beautiful laugh I have ever seen. What am I thinking? It's not the time think about all of these things.

“You are just too easy to understand.” Again silence engulfed us. “So what do you want to do? Before you answer I want to tell you that you can study. I will never stop you from doing whatever you want to do neither my parents will say anything. You already know how my maa is.” He spoke so softly as if he is talking to a kid and smiling at me. I know he is doing this to make feel comfortable. His plan is working cause now I'm not feeling nervous anymore nor I'm uncomfortable. “Can I give you the answer later? I need time.” I said hesitantly, fidgeting with my fingers. “Of course. You can take time. I told you that no one will pressure you.” I smiled at his response. We talked for a while about what we like and dislike. After that he dropped me to my house as it was getting late.

I went to my room laying down the bed as I was staring up at the ceiling. Asael is a nice guy. He is actually my type I mean it was my dream to find a guy like Asael who will understand me, give me freedom, make feel comfortable around him, respect my decision. Still I don't know what should I do so I messaged Aafia and told her everything.

Aafia: I told you that talk to him before taking any decision.

Me: Yes, you were right. I'm glad that I listened to you.

Aafia: What's your decision now?

Me: I don't know. I do like him, he is a really nice guy. But I'm not sure if I want to marry him or not.

Aafia: I understand you. Take time Zaria. Cause if you say yes then it will change your life. Marriage is not a simple thing so you need to think wisely before taking any decision. And I'm always with you my bestie 🫶

Me: Thanks for always supporting me. I love you girl 😭

Aafia: I love you too idiot 🤭 Now go sleep. Good night!

Me: Good night Anabelle!

I turned off my phone. I'm smiling as I was thinking about how Asael behaved with me today. Not even for once he made things awkward between us. I got worried for nothing! That night I fell asleep with a smile on my face unaware of the storm entering my life afterwards.