Chapter 1

Noah Anderson
10:34 am

"Excuse me?"

I turn to see the most beautiful girl in Stone High and the most dangerous. She's brown skinned. She has dark brown eyes and long lashes. Her upper lip is brown and her bottom is pink. She has a beautiful round nose and thick eyebrows with even thicker lips. She has 2 nose rings which brings out her entire face along with diamond studded earrings.

"You talking to me?" I ask pointing to myself.

"Well, who else is here?" She asks.

I look around the library at the books collecting dust and Its Mrs. Falcon, the librarian, me and Aaliyah.

"I just didn't think you were talking to me." I say shrugging my shoulders.

No one ever really talks to me. I'm quiet and stay to myself. So I didn't think Aaliyah, one of the most beautiful girls in school to talk to me.

Noah.

"There's no else here, Noah." She laughs, plopping down in the seat next to me.

She moves her hair behind her ear. Her hair's straightened, she usually has her hair in braids.

"I came to study for the exam in math next period and I saw that you were too." She says pulling out her notebook with her notes.

I admire the dimple that pops out when she bites her bottom lip while looking for a pen. She pulls out lipgloss and glosses her lips.

"...Noah?" She asks.

"Yes." I have no clue what she asked but at this point she could have whatever she wants.

"Okay, let's start..."

Aaliyah and I study for the exam next period until the bell rings.

"Thank you, Noah." She says and packs her things up and leave.

***

"Noah! Come down here!" My mother yells from downstairs.

She's probably calling for help reaching something in the cabinet. She's short and I'm much taller than her.

"What you need, mom?" I ask once I reach the kitchen.

"Yes, can you reach the spaghetti sauce?" She asks pointing to it.

I grab it and hand it to her.

"Thank you." She says and turns to the stove.

I go back upstairs to my room and get ready to go to work. I work at Danny's Garage. I like it and the people I work with.

"Mom, I'm off!" I yell running out the door.

She doesn't like where I work so I usually rush out the door so I could avoid her. I start up my car and make my way to my job.

"Hey, Noah!" Luca, one of my coworkers says when I pull up.

"Hey, Luca!" I say and walk to the back where the lockers are. I take off my top and it leaves just my white tee. I usually take it off before the end of my shift because I get hot and sweaty.

I get started to on Mrs.Lorenz's all blue Volvo. I'm working on my fifth car when Danny, the owner calls me over.

"What you need boss?" I ask wiping the sweat off my forehead with a white rag.

"I need you to pick up a customer off of Tracking Road. Bring the tow truck."

"Okay."

Brian usually does this but he's off today so it's either me or Luca and Luca isn't the best with people.

***

I pull up behind a Mercedes Benz. It's a beautiful car and I wonder what's wrong with it. I step out of the truck and walk over to the car.

"...call you back, girl. The mechanic just pulled up." I hear the tail end of the conversation.

"Noah?" Aaliyah asks stepping out of the car. She's wearing a denim skirt that stops mid thigh and black and red sneakers. A red crop top. She has a couple of bracelets on both wrists, 2 necklaces and diamond studded earrings and of course her lips are glossy.

"I have a flat and I was trying to call my brother but I think he left his phone." She says when I don't respond.

"Okay, I have a tire for you-"

"No, I have a tire, I just need you to put it on." She says popping the trunk.

"Okay." I walk to the trunk and pull out the tire. I walk back to the car and grab my tools.

"So, I didn't know you worked in a garage." She says leaning against the car watching me work.

"Yeah." I say unscrewing the bolts.

"How'd you start working there?"

"I needed something to do after school and I thought, I should also make some money. I like cars and thought I should try to find work that involves cars. At first they wouldn't let me work on any cars but once I proved I actually knew what I was liking about they let me work on cars."

"So I don't think I need to ask if you like what you do. I wish I had something I enjoyed doing. The goal right now is to just finish high school." She says looking off in the distance.

"That's the goal for me too. Once I graduate, I'll just take off and never look back."

"Freedom." She says agreeing.

After that we just listen to her radio play while I change her tire.